metal exterior door paint bleeding?!

ashleyreeOctober 29, 2011

Hiya. I've moved into a "renovated" 1921 house. I tried to wipe away dust and grime off the newly painted (2 months ago) exterior metal door, and when I rinsed the damp sponge, the wash water turned raspberry from paint that had bled into the sponge. Now the spot where I "spot cleaned" (ahem) is a bit lighter than the rest of the door. What the heck did the painter use on my door?

I want to repaint it with a new color and heavy duty glossy finish. I've no idea what the original paint is. Can I just paint over the existing paint, or prime and paint, or should I strip it down to the metal then prime and paint?

BTW, I also want to repaint the vinyl window wrapping to match. Not sure what problems I might run into there too.

Thanks for your help. For what it's worth I got some info from an old Gardenweb post (see link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Any experts? Painting metal front door

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

What was on the sponge besides water?

It is most likely as latex paint on metal, and most of those rarely bond very well.

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 11:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cas66ragtop

It IS Halloween........what is so surprising about a bleeding door from a 1921 house?

Brick could be onto something.....was that sponge used for other clean-up duties that could have involved harsh chemicals?

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
shutting off water before vacation ?
I recently saw a bit on DIY Network about preventing...
abbey_cny
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
Bleach stains on bathtub
My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was...
wishnwell
Chimney waterproofing
Hi I desperately need help here First time home owner Today...
mishyq
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™