Rain down flue

ArapahoSeptember 8, 2007

We are getting rain down our flue. There is a cap on both the flue and chimney. It's enough rain to flood the cellar. Can anyone help me understand why this is happening and what we need to do to fix it? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

Are you in a detached house? Do you own or rent? Have you contacted a roofer or your original contractor?

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 4:36AM
sharon_sd

How do you know it is coming down the flue?

You may be able to locate the source of the breech by watering the roof when it is dry and seeing exactly where the water is coming in.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 6:16AM
lindac

There is no way even in a downpour ofs everal hours, that you could get enough water down a flue to "flood your basement.
To see for yourself just how much water could come through the chimney, put 4 inches of water in a 5 gallon bucket....then dump it out on the drive way and see just how much water it is. Then put 1 inch in the bucket, a more moderate amount for even a heavy rain and see how little that is.
Your water is coming from somewhere else.
Linda C

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 1:20PM
davidandkasie

are you sure it is coming from there and not ground water entering thru the walls? maybe your sump pump is not functioning.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 3:23PM
suburbanmd

Maybe the water is coming down the outside of the flue, because of a flashing or roof defect?

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 9:52PM
gertie2u2

I'm with the flashing / roof defect person. Seen this issue before, started out appearing as rain coming down in chimney, had had a tree fall and thought it damaged the cap on the chimney. Then one toad strangler of a rainy night wall above fireplace developed that oh oh bulge...

Issue was damaged flashing.

Have a good roofer you trust look to be sure.

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 10:25PM
sheilajoyce_gw

We had that happen when we had our first good storm after moving into our tract. Lots of people in our tract of a few hundred homes had that problem from the same storm. The builder resolved the problem with a chimney cap and sealing the brick on the chimney and firebox.

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 4:09AM
More Discussions
Heating Oil Spill & Smell
So here is my issue. Currently under contract to purchase...
jemcdonald
Chimney waterproofing
Hi I desperately need help here First time home owner Today...
mishyq
appliance mfg's & Home owner's ins.
Long story short, I had a water leak in a less than...
gardenerlorisc_ia
Problem neighbors and being watched by them
Hi I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section but...
NicholeN
Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!
I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect....
Cyd1900
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™