Passive Solar Recommendations?

jxbrownApril 20, 2005

We are in the preliminary stages of planning to build a house. Can anyone recommend a good book that covers passive solar design, siting, etc? We are also interested in PV and general energy conservations topics, if anyone has good references, I would appreciate it. We will be building in the southwest.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RCMJr

Can't recommend any particular text for passive solar design . . . but NOW is definately the time to consider such things; especially in a sunny clime. You can get a lot of benefits from the design for FREE . . . or battle their side-effects forever through heating / cooling / lighting systems.

For PV and energy conservation; try Homepower magazine . . . covers the gamut of stuff. I'm in central New York state and PV works here . . it'll surely work where you are. You will likely NOT get incentives like here in NY; we've actually got some pretty good ones right now. HomePower usually includes info on what's going on where in terms of incentives and such; either directly or through links from their site . . . lots of good, real information there . ..

Good luck . .

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: HomePower magazine

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 5:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DrynDusty

You might look at Real Goods at www.solareco.com. They have books on lots of green topics, plus they sell a lot of solar heating supplies.
Norm

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
Evaluating a building site for solar?
We are considering purchasing some land, contingent...
honeyb2
Any solar panel experts here?
If so, I'd like to get a few minutes of your time on...
woohooman
PV installation ROI review
My wife and I are researching solar panel systems for...
rjexit5
if you must use solar, consider this option
first of all, for renewable energy i much prefer the...
animus_divinus
Anyone get SRECs for their solar panels
We've had solar panels installed and working for 3...
Annie Deighnaugh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™