Holes in everything

pyxismomSeptember 6, 2002

This spring we began noticing holes in our clothing, especially sweatshirts and t-shirts. We instantly thought moths. More recently we have found holes in items in every closet, dresser and storage area. We recently discovered, after finding them on some window seat cushions, that it is carpet beetles (larvae) doing the damage. We have had the pest control company here twice but are afraid to put anything back in the drawers or closets. They are even in the car now since we have been taking so much stuff to the cleaners. Has anyone ever heard of this? Will we ever get rid of them? How?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjsee

I've heard of them--I'd say call a pest control place. Sounds like a major infestation and it may be time for real, and serious, chemicals. I hate to use them myself--but sometimes one doesn't have a choice. If I ever had a major pest problem, that required professional(sp?) intervention, I'd stay in a motel for a few days. Good luck! Melanie

Bookmark   September 10, 2002 at 2:57PM
ChrisAK

Try placing cedar caches in your drawers and use the cedar bags that you can hang in the closets. Cedar has some natural repellent that keeps insects at bay same as eucalyptus.

As for the exterminator, call them. Have them inspect your home to find where they are entering from. Then have them treat.

Bookmark   September 11, 2002 at 3:15PM
annalist

We had these pesky critters in our pantry - seems they will eat almost everything. They had infested all our flour, cornmeal and even hot pepper flakes! Obviously, we did not want to use insectesides around our food. We were advised to put dried bay leaves in all our flours and meals, and it worked! Maybe you could make up pot pourri of bay leaves and place them throughout your closets and dressers. It might keep the bugs away and your clothes will smell nice too.

Bookmark   October 11, 2002 at 1:15PM
graciecraft

soap shavings and mint are also good. I always toss a couple of hotel soaps up in the closet shelves.

Bookmark   November 2, 2002 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
Home disasters
Folks, before hiring a contractor go this website Ncphif.org...
josephene_gw
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
Help my grout turned blue in spots from Comet
Hi Unfortunately I was trying to clean my new Bathroom...
laxrox
Black mold? Not sure. Need help.
Hi, I recently bought an older home. I've been in it...
widaxx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™