Solar panels on metal roof

carajonMarch 27, 2006

We are thrilled that our solar panels (pv and thermal) will be installed soon. We were expecting to install them with S5 clips onto our metal roof (brand: Everseam). Now one of the solar guys is getting nervous about whether the clips will hold, so is suggesting that we put bolts through the roof to hold the racks that will hold the panels. Now I am worried about putting holes in the metal roof.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with solar panels on metal roofs?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chazas

We're still in the planning stages of a PV system using the same clips. There is no way in heck I'd allow the solar contractor to penetrate the metal roof membrane. This clip system is one of the main benefits of the metal roof/solar panel combination!

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 6:02PM
nessas

Are these clips for use on a "standing seam" metal roof?

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 3:41AM
chazas

Yep. Here's their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: S-5! manufacturer website

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 3:54PM
nessas

Thanks for the website, just what I needed!

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 12:31AM
rswojo0

Hi,
I have 7200 Watts of GE 200W PV panels and 2 Heliodyne 4 x 8 SDHW panels mounted on a standing seam metal roof with the S5 clips. The only roof penetration is the conduit for the wires. Rock solid.

Bookmark   January 27, 2007 at 10:45AM
blackthorne

I live in South Florida and I'm worried about hurricanes and whether the S5 clips would stand up to the winds or whether they might tear the metal roof off. I had the panels taken off the old shingle roof and now they are just sitting in my back yard. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Bookmark   February 5, 2007 at 7:52PM
DavidR

now they are just sitting in my back yard. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Yep. What's your address? ;-)

(Just kidding, but with what PV costs these days I sure wouldn't leave them in the back yard!)

Bookmark   February 7, 2007 at 4:33PM
bushleague

That was my thinking, for the Florida house. Now that I am
importing, I got a price on 240 watt PV panels for $240 each,
FOB. I need to purchase a minimum of 40. Good deal? FPL is continually increasing prices so I think that the dryer, cooktop (oven needs to be electric), and water heater needs to be gas since it is around .50c/therm. This will take the load off of the fridge, freezer, and pool pump at least 50% if my calculations are correct, based upon a 4.8 kw system.

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 6:37PM
blackthorne

Still looking for info on installing solar panels on a metal roof for heating a pool in Fl. Help please.

Bookmark   February 18, 2007 at 7:41PM
pv_attachments

the clamps are definately the way to go. Is your roof Standing seam? There are have several jobs that are out there. One with over 10,000 points of attachment and no roof penetrations. PV integrators are actually installing metal roofs just to have the clamps availablility. As far as the holding strength of the part, its is definatley strong. Almost all cases it is stronger than the roof clips.

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 5:41PM
blackthorne

Yes, my roof is a stanting seam. Can you tell me where some of the jobs are? I didn't understand when you said "almost all cases it its stronger than the roof clips".

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 9:04PM
dreamgarden

No experience yet, but this is in Mother Earth News March/April 07' (?.

New Thin-Film Solar Panels: Fast, Simple & Smart
byÃAubrey VaughnÃ:ÃMarch 2, 2007
http://www.motherearthliving.com/issues/motherearthliving/alternative_energy/New-Thin-Film-Solar-Panels-Fast-Simple-Smart_354-1.html

For those who might be interested in alternative roofs:
www.greenroofs.com

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 5:51PM
chazas

I can't believe this thread is still going on! When I posted about a year ago our house was still a plan on paper. It's about 3 months from completion now, and our solar contractor just installed the PV panels on our metal roof. In the snow, no less.

My partner has a little website with construction pics on the first page. At least today, a pic of the new solar panels attached to our standing seam Galvalume roof with S-5! clamps is on the upper right of the first page at the following link (the progress pics change often so it may not be there the next time you look).

Here is a link that might be useful: Construction pics of my house showing solar panels

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 10:30AM
sacto_diane

Interestingly "This old house" (for what it's worth) is doing a bungalow with a standing seam metal roof and solar panels. I believe they are using similar clips to connect to the standing seams on the roof to attach the panels

Diane

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 11:53AM
oddstock1

In the past, I've purchased the S-5 clamps/clips from LMCURBS...excellent lead times and great technical support.

Here is a link that might be useful: LMCURBS Website

Bookmark   December 19, 2007 at 9:32AM
greif

bushleage, where are you getting the panels so cheap?

Bookmark   December 19, 2007 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
Energy usage has increased since net metering installed
My electricity energy usage had never exceeded 700kw...
dawnedell
Solar hot water vs. tankless systems
I live in southern Louisiana. We're renovating a very...
kntryhuman
Anyone get SRECs for their solar panels
We've had solar panels installed and working for 3...
Annie Deighnaugh
Enviro M55 cast iron free standing pellet stove
Anyone have any feedback on the newer units that have...
bksinaz
Looking for feedback on geothermal!
Hello there! I am quite new on the Forum, and a newbie...
Tinuvielle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™