Vapor barrier coatings in the attic

wittyhoosierMarch 6, 2006

My attic has fiberglass batt insulation...installed upside down, with vapor barrier up. I want to remove all of this insulation and blow in cellulose. Is there a reasonable way to create a vapor barrier between the ceiling joists instead of using VB paint on the ceiling inside the house? Thanks,

Andy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RCMJr

I don't know of an easy or good way to do it once the ceiling is in. But, you may not have to. If you've got sufficient ventilation above the cellulose; it can breathe well enough to disperse any moisture.

The way the f'glas is in there now; it'll want to trap any moisture coming up through the ceiling . . if you haven't had such troubles with it the way it is; I doubt you'll have any troubles with properly installed ( and ventilated ) cellulose.

Cellulose is a better insulation . . . and FAR more environmentally friendly . . good move in both those respects . .

Bob

Bookmark   March 7, 2006 at 6:57PM
wittyhoosier

I tend to crawl around in the attic on the regular, and I have never seen any evidence of moisture build up. Guess that is a good point. Don't fix what ain't broke! My house is done in a concrete type plaster. I wonder if that is barrier enough to keep it dry, or if the ventilation up there is just that good?
Andy

Bookmark   March 8, 2006 at 3:38PM
RCMJr

If you have a moisture problem; it would be most evident during a cold stretch; and by reaching under the vapor barrier . . and feeling around in the f'glass for moisture / dampness. If there's nothing there ( moisture ); then you've got low vapor penetration and / or good ventilation . . in either case; seemingly no problem.

Bob

Bookmark   March 8, 2006 at 6:53PM
solargary

Hi,
Why not just remove the paper backing on the fiberglass, or cut slits in it, and then blow cellulose over it?

It took a lot of energy to make that fiberglass -- it would be nice to keep it working, rather than ending up in a landfill?

Gary

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 11:29AM
wittyhoosier

I was actually planning to use the fiberglass to insulate my attached garage. The paper is pretty much shot though, so I was trying to figure a way to get the 'glass to stay in the wall with nothing to staple to. I figured on using plastic sheet on the inside wall, and stapleing that to the stud, but I'm afraid the glass will slump down inside. Any ideas?

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
Anyone get SRECs for their solar panels
We've had solar panels installed and working for 3...
Annie Deighnaugh
Geo in old brick home
Background: we put in geo last year and love it. 2100...
thesilverback
Cellulose?
Sorry if this isn't the right spot for this question...I...
shm_helene1
Geothermal issue
I don't know whether to post this under renewable energy,...
katieb2007
solar tube skylight
Does anyone out there have a solar tube sky light and/or...
ryanaidan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™