Air conditioning systems for an NYC apt.

remodel_nightmareMarch 30, 2004

I just purchased a two story two bedroom apartment in NYC. It currently has central air that needs replacing. The current system is over 20 years old and the ceilings were lowered to put in the ductwork. I would like to restore the apartment to its original pre-war style by raising the ceilings.

I have considered a ductless split system that would not require ductwork. Does anyone have any ideas on what other options I have? Or if the ductless split system is a good choice? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fredwolf

I have an LG minisplit system in my 1885 house, works fine, no ducts. Mitsubishi makes a good one too, www.mrslim.com

Bookmark   April 15, 2004 at 3:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jessindc

Hello:
I am renovating an office that is in my garage. The space is about the size of a parking space (sorry - don't have measurements in hand). I'm a professor and use it only sporadically - most days in the summer, most days in January, and on and off the rest of the year, depending on what I'm working on. It currently has an ancient wall AC unit that barely works (though the brick garage stays quite cool in the summer and there are big french doors to the garden so I don't use it much anyway). It has ancient baseboard heaters some of which are hidden behind shelving units and cost a fortune to run (my January electric bill is the highest of the year). My contractor has recommended a mini split unit instead of a new AC unit and new, relocated baseboard heaters. My question is: is this worthwhile even if I don't use the AC very much? Also, I have read that the heat pump aspect of the minisplit unit doesn't really work in sub-freezing temperatures. January and February are exactly when I most need heat and in Washington DC it is certainly below freezing during those months. In other words, my main need is for heat not AC - it can be REALLY cold out there on a January morning! does it still make sense for me to install a minisplit? what do I need to know to get one properly installed?
Many thanks
Jess

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 8:29PM
More Discussions
Enviro M55 cast iron free standing pellet stove
Anyone have any feedback on the newer units that have...
bksinaz
Thoughts on Solar Leases
Folks, I would like to hear from those who currently...
NRG Home Solar
Geothermal $6K per ton?
In my ongoing quest into the geothermal world, this...
cs6000
Critique of House plan
I am still trying to figure out the perfect plan for...
jenlef82
Cellulose?
Sorry if this isn't the right spot for this question...I...
shm_helene1
Sponsored Products
Vondom | Vela Lounge Chair LED
YLiving.com
Industrial Iron Hook Caddy
$48.99 | Dot & Bo
Flat Chrome Bar on Bar Towel Rail 30 inches x 18 inches.
Hudson Reed
Skydro Non-Electrified Ceiling Light
Lightology
Painted Medallion Jewel Outdoor Pillow
$139.00 | FRONTGATE
KingsBottle Glass Door Stainless Steel Trim 170-bottle Dual Zone Compressor Wine
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™