Geothermal system leak

screenbuilderMarch 14, 2011

I am thinking about having a geothermal system installed for a new home. One thing I cannot get a clear answer on is what is the environmental risk of a leak from the system. Will it potentially pollute the well water? I don't know the concentration of glycol or alcohol in a system, but neither of them can be good for well water. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

What kind of glycol or alcohol are used? Ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are both biodegradable. Propylene glycol is not toxic to humans in reasonable quantities. Ethylene glycol is. Ethanol is not toxic to humans in reasonable quantities either. I can't imagine that propylene glycol or ethanol would be a ground water hazard in a ground source loop.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 3:13PM
fsq4cw

While there is some element of risk, in my estimation this issue is over-blown, particularly in residential installations. You will likely become aware of the problem long before your entire ground loop is depleted. Should a loss of fluid arise, your responsibility would be to properly repair the problem rather than just treating the symptom by 'topping-up' the fluid level.

I would worry more about a neighbor with a buried oil tank, garden pesticides or the neighborhood gas station for that matter.

SR

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 10:21AM
screenbuilder

Thanks for the follow-up information. I may have to assume if it was a bigger issue, it would have more press by now.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Can solatubes go horizontal?
We just redid I our house and I am depressed at how...
newhome123
Geothermal in south bay area
I am wondering if anybody has feedback on geothermal...
CAHome
Critique of House plan
I am still trying to figure out the perfect plan for...
jenlef82
I need a better way to finish this crown molding
Hi. Kitchen remodel, brand new cabinets with crown...
skuba
Solar Panel on Shed, Standalone?
I have a small shed, like 10' x 12'. It is about 30'...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™