Floor Plan suggestions

ReneeD2useMarch 6, 2014

any suggestions on my floor plan??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

Any suggestions for what exactly? Is this an existing structure or are you building? Is this a retirement home? Will you be doing the exterior maintenance - including washing all those windows? Which way is north? Geographic location and average high and low temperatures? Is it 2x4 construction? Is the central master walk-in closet also a "Safe Room" (I live in tornado alley). Do you need/have a garage?

Too many zigs and zags. Each time you turn a corner you pay more for a structure than a simple straight-line, 4-corner, hip roof construction. Any tray or vaulted ceilings? Eight-foot or nine-foot interior walls. What is the roof pitch?

My general thoughts...
-Poor air-flow.
-Too many windows and large openings (that's where you lose a lot of heat and air conditioning).
-Are you planning any passive solar possibilities in the winter with any of those large openings (should they be facing south)?
-Any roof overhang to help cover all those windows?
-The plumbing is all over the place...poor space planning. The 3/4 bath in the bonus room would be better placed across the room closer to the master bath plumbing.
-Do you really require a water closet for the toilet in the master bath? Wait until you try to clean in that dinky space.

Hubby has a degree in Interior Architecture and is a CKD (39-years with the same company) and he thought it was a bad floor plan from a lot of perspectives, but like anyone else checking this post, lacks a LOT of general information.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 7:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

Only one bedroom?

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Planning for a new green home
I am in the planning stages of building a new home...
b_valancy
Critique of House plan
I am still trying to figure out the perfect plan for...
jenlef82
Enviro M55 cast iron free standing pellet stove
Anyone have any feedback on the newer units that have...
bksinaz
Looking for feedback on geothermal!
Hello there! I am quite new on the Forum, and a newbie...
Tinuvielle
Best roof for solar panels
We recently bought a house. The roof is in bad condition...
ylmzm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™