Durisol ICF or Liteblok?

daisyblueMarch 22, 2013

This is crossposted from the Building A Home Forum...
Does anyone have any experience with or thoughts about these products? We are trying to determine the best way to go for a healthy, breathable, non-toxic wall system.

See link to Durisol website below.

Liteblok website: http://www.crescoconcrete.com/Liteblok 38.htm

We've also considered hempcrete, but I think it is going to be too cost prohibitive. [Hempcrete info: http://www.hemp-technologies.com/page15/page16/page16.html]

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Durisol website

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brian_Knight

Hi Daisyblue, good job on your research. I think you are asking some important questions. I just left a comment on some of the major drawbacks of ICF in the below thread.

Its common for people to obsess over the exterior walls influence on Interior Air Quality IAQ but it actually has very little impact on the big picture. According to NIOSH, building materials account for only 4% on a home's Indoor air problems.

The best path to better Indoor Air Quality is providing mechanical ventilation or outdoor air introduction. ASHRAE 62.2 is what International Building Codes recognize and is currently the best ventilation standard in the country. I just wrote two fairly detailed blog entries on the subject but I cant post them here as GW considers it advertising. They are easy enough to find by searching my name and keywords if youre interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web thread on

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 2:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daisyblue

Somehow, I overlooked your response earlier Brian. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have bookmarked your blog to read more in depth after my little one goes to bed.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Evaluating a building site for solar?
We are considering purchasing some land, contingent...
honeyb2
PV installation ROI review
My wife and I are researching solar panel systems for...
rjexit5
Ideas on how to capture gray water runoff from A/C?
The pipe that comes out of our crawl space which empties...
momfromthenorth
Looking for feedback on geothermal!
Hello there! I am quite new on the Forum, and a newbie...
Tinuvielle
Can solatubes go horizontal?
We just redid I our house and I am depressed at how...
newhome123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™