Whole home automation and size of electronics closet

hadenJuly 8, 2009

Anyone with experience with a recently installed whole home automation system? What should I ask for and what do you like/not like about yours?

How large is your electronics/network closet?

I'll take any pearls of wisdom for my new home build.

FWIW I'm into A/V stuff and have been a regular reader at AVSforum for years, but there's not much there on new, built in whole home auto systems.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wws944

Advice given to me by a professional was to put in the biggest one you can. :)

When we reconstructed our house, I took his advice put in a the large Channel Vision 38" panel in the utility room, and ran cat-5e and RG-6 all over the place. Basically each room has two outlets - each with two cat-5e cables, and many also have RG-6. In three locations (living room, family room, and master BR) I also ran structured cable (2 RG-6 and 2 cat-5e in one housing) as satellite prewire. This centralized all the phone, net, and video stuff. The 38" panel is easily big enough to hold and hide everything, but I wouldn't want to add too much more functionality. Case in point, our security system is co-located in a separate, small, enclosure.

I probably have about 1/3rd of a mile of rg-6 and cat-5e in total. This is not overkill. When a friend of mine did his house, he took the opinion that each wall should have at least one outlet. He guesses he has about 2 miles of low voltage wire behind the walls.

Make sure you have a dedicated 20 amp circuit to a couple of key locations where you might have power amps for stereo/home theater. One for your computer server too.

For various reasons, I didn't do any whole house audio or fancy lighting. That would have added a lot. At that point, some start looking at installing relay racks for the additional gear...

I do think that installing some speakers in the walls/ceilings of some rooms with local outlets is a good idea. I didn't do that either - but I have a crawl space under the house. So it won't be too hard to add after the fact.

This link is to the outfit where I bought my panel and wire. They have a nice FAQ on this very topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: I am remodeling or building a house, what wire should I put in?

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
why do I have to "install"apps on my tablet?
So why do I have to install apps on my tablet that...
clairebuoyant
Headphone jack
Dug up a sub-mini plug for my home phone earphone jack....
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™