How to choose provider?

Lori BJuly 9, 2010

I'm so confused. Do we want cable, U-verse, or satellite service for our new build house? To me, they all seem similiar, yet different. Does anyone know a good resource to find out answers? It seems in my area that we have the following available:

Charter Cable

AT&T U-Verse

Dish Network (currently we have)

DirectTV (prior customer)

I'm vaguely familiar with how Dish & DirectTV work. In our current home, we have Charter internet. What I hate about these companies, is that you go to their websites and there are so many "special" offers that are only for limited time periods, that I can't make sense of anything!

Where do I go to have a live person unbiasedly tell me the pros/cons of each? We have been to BestBuy and they are pushing DirectTV right now. Not sure they are unbiased, or not.

I'd like to receive at least some HD channels. We are not huge TV watchers though...and we rarely watch movies. When we do watch TV, we are almost always watching it off the DVR.

We currently have 3 TVs, we may add another. Ideally, I'd like the TVs in the kitchen and living room to be able to operate simulateneously on the same channel. I don't know if this is possible. So basically, I don't really want to have a receiver box in the kitchen. I simply want a mount on the wall in the kitchen that broadcasts whatever we have on in the living room.

In our current house, we have DishNetwork with 2 HD DVRs on dual tuners...but we only have 3 TVs. We *prefer* the DirectTV service over Dish (program guides seem more user friendly, more reliable service, and NFL ticket possibility). However, I like not having to mount a receiver at every TV. Is this really necessary with DirectTV?

I have no experience at all with cable service or with U-verse. Are they more cost effective?

We may consider budling TV, internet and phone...but it all depends.

Please help...where do I go for answers. These provider websites are absolute overload with all their gimmicks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

We recently switched back to DISH from Direct TV. Had a receiver on each TV with DirecTV, same as with DISH. We think the hardware on DISH is vastly better than DirecTV. The remote is FAR better. The fast-forward 30 second skip on Direct is a speeded up version on the screen, while DISH instantly skips 30 seconds. Programming the recordings also seems easier. And we like the magazine a lot more. AND we had several service issues with DirecTV equipment that were a PITA to repair, we'd lose everything every few months. DISH has been far more reliable, both before we had the DirecTV and since we switched back. We were on DISH for several years, switched to DirecTV about 3 yrs ago, just switched back in April.

FWIW, we prefer DISH. We are in a rural area and cannot get any form of cable, so these two are our only options.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 8:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vala55

I have only used cable for TV. I used ATT for internet for a short time. Now we use cable for TV, Internet and phone. I would hate to be where I could not get cable. I won't use anything I have to sign a contract on for any length of time. I think a reputable company would not require you to be locked in.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
previous post about 50ML8105D
My previous post about my Magnavox/Phillips 50"...
tribefan53
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
Lost sound on my computer.
Once again I need your help. I have been persuaded...
ronalawn82
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™