Old TV - help!

scottysJuly 13, 2010

Does anyone out there know if there is anything available that I can buy that will make my 1980's TV work again? Since they dropped analog signals its just fuzz.

There are no input jacks of any kind in the back, just two screws where the antenna wire would be hooked up to. TV has sentimental value, so I want to try and get it working again. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryland_irisman

If the tv is working, getting it up and running so you can watch it is easy.

Pick up a 75 ohm matching transformer....it will have 2 leads that look like those that come from an antenna, the other side will have threads that accept coax cable such as the cable that comes from the local cable company. They cost anywhere from $1.00 to $2.00...Walmart, Dollar store, just about anywhere sells them. Screw the 2 leads onto the tv antenna screws on the back of the tv.

Screw one end of a coax cable onto the matching transformer you just bought and installed, the other end into your cable box or satellite box (no digital conversion on your part is necessary).. If you are using an antenna and want to pick up digital channels, you'll need a digital converter box.

Set your tv tuner on channel 3 or 4 (whichever one you chose by way of the switch on the converter box). Turn your converter box on and turn on the tv. Use the fine tune knob behind the channel selector knob to tune in for your best picture. Now all you need to do is turn the tv on and off, no more need to change any channels using the channel selector. You can change channels with the remote to your cable or converter box. It is suggested you take 2 trips up and down your staircase to make up for the exercise you won't be getting by having to get up and change the channel. Depending on your cable/converter box, you may not have to get up to change the volume in which case, double the stair climb.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 6:28PM
scottys

Maryland: thanks for the easy to follow instructions....TV works fine so this baby should be up and running by the weekend! I will look for that transformer piece you describe in radio shack or in my dollar store. Thanks again

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 10:59PM
maryland_irisman

Scotty,

How'd it turn out for you?

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
seek expert on plug-in wax-tart warmers
I bought this plug-in tart warmer via the Net, made-in-china,...
jally
Philips/Magnavox Tv Problems ?
To get assistance on Philips/Magnavox TV: Post the...
pee_wee
Sponsored Products
Low Divide Angled Bowl Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Burbank Wall Sconce
Lightology
St. Joseph Home Sales Figurine
$7.99 | zulily
Oval-tip Midnight Arm Chair
Overstock.com
Ballerina Old Bronze Seven-Light Bath Fixture with Alabaster Glass
$135.99 | Bellacor
Dimplex Bennett Espresso Entertainment Center Electric Fireplace - SMP-155G-E-ST
Hayneedle
Heirloom GS6 Wall Sconce
Lightology
Progress Lighting Wall Mounted Ashmore Collection Wall Mount 2-Light Outdoor
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™