Will two good stereo speakers provide most of the sound that a

tobr24uJuly 19, 2006

home theatre needs? In other words, do you need all of those extra satellites and a sub and a center for most viewing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

A lot of movies are recorded in a "5.1" format, in which there are two front speakers, a center speaker (for dialog and continuity of sound effects), two back speakers (providing surrounding sound), and one providing low-bass sound (the .1). There also are 6.1 and 7.1 formats, though they are not that popular in commercial releases.

It would be difficult (but not impossible) to electronically simulate the various sound delays and the "feel-it-not-hear-it" bass that is part of the theater experience. Two good stereo speakers will provide a great improvement over TV speakers or home-theater-in-a-box. Two good stereo speakers and a matched center channel would, IMHO, get you 70-80% of the way there. But (again, IMHO) 5.1 is required to properly decode Dolby-encoded video.

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 10:14AM
tobr24u

steve o, thanks for your insights. I am still considering all options and may run my stereo speakers just for music and do dvds on a separate speaker system...

Bookmark   July 21, 2006 at 10:34AM
naparover

Your two speakers will be a huge upgrade from the tv speakers, but nowhere near what is possible with a discreet system. Most DVSs / movies etc are recorded now with full seperate audio channels for each speaker, and that cant be duplicated with just two. I run full Martin Logan system, and prefer to listen to music on only my LandR front speakers...the surround sounds aweful to me...but for tv and movies, its as good as any theater when full surround is on. Its a tough call design wise, to get great performance and have it blend in...ive adjusted to life with huge speakers in the room. its the tradeoff i guess

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 2:18AM
More Discussions
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
home stero using XM radio
i am building our retirement home and have installed...
coetexas
previous post about 50ML8105D
My previous post about my Magnavox/Phillips 50"...
tribefan53
Cables and wiring? Cat6, hdmi, coaxial, ethernet?
I've been reading a lot on here about wiring our new...
tulips33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™