Water (& carpet) long gone, but smell remains

artnjSeptember 19, 2011

Had an inch of water in the finished basement for a few days (we were away). It receded on its own, and when we got home, we removed the carpet and pad. When the cement floor dried, we used a 1/2 bleach 1/2 water mix on it. Smell is much less now 2 1/2 weeks out, but it still smells. Been running a dehumidifier, but it no longer is unusually damp down there, just a normal basement. Ventillation is very weak down there, the windows barely crack for security reasons, so the door at the top of the stairs is really the only meaningful ventillation.

Had some modest mold on the baseboards and sheet rock (water stains up to 8 inches on sheetrock) but a little bleach/water fixed that. I dont know if I have a problem inside the walls, but surely that wouldnt be the cause of the smell?

What should we do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jmc01

The sheetrock got wet, as did any insulation behind it along with the wood framing.

When our finished basement flooded, we cut out the bottom couple feet of sheetrock and insulation (above the water line) ran industrial dehumidifiers and a few weeks later we rebuilt.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Bad Contractor
My wife and I are nearing the end of a bad experience...
KitchenDad
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™