How long does the battery on a portable DVD player last?

cheerful1_gwJuly 26, 2006

I'm researching the purchase of a portable DVD player. I noticed the replacement battery can cost almost the price of the player itself. How long does the original battery last before you'd have to replace it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

There really is no way of telling. It depends on the type of battery (NiMH, lithium ion, etc.), how many discharge/recharge cycles the battery has gone through, whether the device is plugged in most of the time, storage conditions,....

Sorry this isn't much of a help. But it's kind of like asking how many licks there are to a Tootsie Pop. :-)

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 8:22AM
cseyer

In my limited experience these batteries are Li-ion and give approx 12 months of full performance and another 12-18 of decreasing performance before becoming basically useless. When I say useless I mean that the battery will no longer provide power for the length of a typical 1.5 - 2 hour movie.

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 8:32AM
clg7067

Mine lasts about 3.5 hours, not quite long enough to watch 2 movies. Unfortunately, I don't remember the brand name, I bought it many years ago.

You can probably check the specs online with the manufacturer before you buy it. I also like to read product reviews on Amazon.com, even if I don't buy it there.

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Cables and wiring? Cat6, hdmi, coaxial, ethernet?
I've been reading a lot on here about wiring our new...
tulips33
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
Headphone jack
Dug up a sub-mini plug for my home phone earphone jack....
stoveguyy
home stero using XM radio
i am building our retirement home and have installed...
coetexas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™