TV has no power

zwashington_1024July 6, 2009

I have a 27" Phillips/Magnavox TV manufactured in 1998. Model# TP2780 Chassis# 27Z500 7523.

A couple of weeks ago I returned home from visiting my daughter and found that my TV would'nt turn on. I was told there had been a storm and the power went out briefly. I have a fairly good surge protector. The main power switch was on, but I had the DVD, cable box, and other electronics turned off for the two weeks I was gone. Everything else plugged into the protector was working and nothing else in the house malfunctioned. So what could have happened and what can I do? I'm on disability and can't afford to but another TV!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gilloz

The first thing that comes to mind would be the inline fuse on the main board. They are generally mounted by pigtails near the area where the wall power cord comes into the TV. You need to remove the back cover for access. Be careful because there are voltages present even with a TV OFF. If you have no soldering skills, then you will need someone to replace the fuse if you find it defective.

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 11:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
izzie

Twice in two different homes I lost electronics during a storm I am pretty sure from the cable tv cable. Down in TX it was plugged into the VCR, that blew. About 7 years ago here in MN the TV blew, cable was run directly into it. It took a bit to put 2 + 2 together. I called my cable company and asked if cable was grounded, they came out and grounded it. My mom who used to work for the phone comp. said that it should have been grounded, but I doubt any of them do it.

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
previous post about 50ML8105D
My previous post about my Magnavox/Phillips 50"...
tribefan53
Cables and wiring? Cat6, hdmi, coaxial, ethernet?
I've been reading a lot on here about wiring our new...
tulips33
Best and thinnest flat screen wall mountable tv less than 20" high?
I am so out of my depth here. I would greatly appreciate...
bellsmom
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Sponsored Products
Home Theater Flat TV System 59
Italy Design
Philips 55" LED Smart TV
$779.00 | FRONTGATE
Hamilton TV Stand Multicolor - 83423
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Convenience Concepts Designs2Go Espresso TV Stand with 2 Cabinets - 151160ES
$75.00 | Hayneedle
Grande Blue and Yellow Lava Lamp
$94.99 | Lamps Plus