Solar Panels in New Construction

mrsjuricFebruary 12, 2007

Hello Everyone...

I am building a new home for the first time and one of the upgrades were for Solar Paneling. Do you think it's a good upgrade and worth it? I am Texas Resident and electricity bills are pretty crazy. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob_brown

Hello,
Solar for hot water and radiant flooring yes, it is a good upgrade. Insulating the entire envelope is also good. This means the slab also. Using foam insulation is also a good upgrade. As to solar electric; it will not pay for itself unless you have a super efficient house design. Sealing the rock to the studs will seal walls from air leakage. This is not normally done in Texas. From a recent study, using a thermal mass inside of the house with typical insulation in the walls, reduces HVAC bills. Using cf lighting that has insulated cans when in the attic or uninsulated areas also helps.

Bookmark   February 13, 2007 at 3:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nra4usa

Like Bob says, the return on investment for a solar hot water system is short and therefore is a no brainer. The return on investment for solar electricity is a LONG time. Consider wind power for electricity

Definitely do the solar hot water. I recommend the evacuated tube systems.

Bookmark   February 17, 2007 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
Can solatubes go horizontal?
We just redid I our house and I am depressed at how...
newhome123
Geothermal issue
I don't know whether to post this under renewable energy,...
katieb2007
Anyone get SRECs for their solar panels
We've had solar panels installed and working for 3...
Annie Deighnaugh
Radon system
Can somebody tell me why there's condensation outside...
ahold
Best Hot Water Tank to go with Solar
My parents have a big house with a solar hot water...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™