Geothermal and Solar Water Heater?

mathteachervaFebruary 17, 2006

I'd like to make an investment in renewable energy at my 40-year-old split level in McLean, Va. I have added cellulose insulation in the attic, purchased EnergyStar appliances, got rid of the garbage disposal (compost kitchen scraps), use my clothesline almost exclusively, have 100% CF lightbulbs, a Solatube and solar-powered attic fan. I have a gas furnace and hot water heater. I'm thinking of a geothermal heat pump and/or a solar hot water systerm. I don't use a lot of hot water (one person household, cold water laundry, plus I usually shower at the gym), but when I sell my house, it would be good to know that the next family would have the solar system. I understand that the geothermal system will supply all of my hot water in the summer. Would it make sense to have the solar hot water system as well? And if so, would you go with evacuated tubes or flat plate? My roof faces Southwest. (I had thought solar hot water with a radiant floor heating system would be a good idea after seeing similar systems at the Solar Decathalon, but a contractor here said it would be wasteful due to no use for the hot water in the summer.) Thanks so much. I've already learned a lot on this forum from Gary and Bob and others! The IGSHPA website was especially helpful. Rose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fsq4cw

Re: mathteacherva,

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

If you air-conditioned a lot during the summer, geothermal might make sense. On the other hand, if you throw the windows open most of the time you will not benefit from Âfree hot water. As for the next familyÂwho knows?

Geothermal certainly would add value to your home, and could provide free hot water if you air-condition during the summer. It would provide hot water at a reduced price in the winter and you could also have radiant in-floor heating at a reduced cost.

I guess youÂll have to crunch the numbers. It might be a Âproject of conscience though.
God bless those that go ahead - even when the numbers donÂt add up. You certainly have my respect.

BTW: I prefer evacuated tubes (but thatÂs not my field of expertise).

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: how-efficient-is-it-magazine.com

Bookmark   February 17, 2006 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Planning for a new green home
I am in the planning stages of building a new home...
b_valancy
Anyone get SRECs for their solar panels
We've had solar panels installed and working for 3...
Annie Deighnaugh
if you must use solar, consider this option
first of all, for renewable energy i much prefer the...
animus_divinus
PV installation ROI review
My wife and I are researching solar panel systems for...
rjexit5
Geothermal in south bay area
I am wondering if anybody has feedback on geothermal...
CAHome
Sponsored Products
Fire Sense Patio Heaters Flame Patio Heater Vinyl Cover 60949
$39.00 | Home Depot
Lyons Industries Bathtubs Classic 6 ft. Reversible Drain Heated Soaking Tub in
Home Depot
Dimplex 23 in. Electric Fireplace Insert - DFI23096A
$259.99 | Hayneedle
Lyons Industries Bathtubs Classic 5 ft. Reversible Drain Heated Soaking Tub in
Home Depot
Lyons Industries Bathtubs Linear 5 ft. Left Drain Heated Soaking Tub in Biscuit
Home Depot
Amba C Straight CS-20 Hardwired Towel Warmer - CSB-20
$784.00 | Hayneedle
Patio Comfort Vintage Series Portable Patio Heater - PC02CAB
$719.00 | Hayneedle
Broan-Nutone Locking 15.75W x 25.5H in. Recessed Medicine Cabinet 625N244 - 625N
$161.22 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™