Sandbag ???

kellywaneSeptember 1, 2008

Hi everyone here's Kelly so we know that growing plants in wet, poorly drained soil can be quite difficult, very heavy rainfall followed by flooding can kill woody and herbaceous plants.

The question is often raised, "How long can my plants tolerate their roots being submerged and how can I prevent my plants from flood?

I have head about a product http://www.stormtec.net/ and I want to know if that can be the solution and if someone could tell me more about it.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

Those sandbags are meant for one time emergency use in actual floods, not for keeping normally planted things from root rot. Your plants should be in well drained soil to begin with, so even if there is an actual flood, they have a better chance of survival. Were you seriously thinking of digging trenches near your plants to put sandbags in? Won't work - the ground is saturated from below to a great extent anyway, apart from the area immediately above a given plant, so there really isn't a lot you can do unfortunately.

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joed

How long your plants can withstand being under water depends entirely on the variety of plants. Some can withstand better than others.

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
Strange 'fishy' smell
Hello all - My parents are having an issue with a somewhat...
tarajen
Craftman garage door 1/2 hp
when it start to not working the way it suppost to...
Ignacio7557
I melted the drawer fronts on my cheap plastic cabinets!
Ok this is not a huge disaster as disasters go, but...
gin_gin
The strangest, persistent odour
Hello all. This is a serious mystery. About a month...
DanJM
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™