asbestos air ducts

chrysotileSeptember 13, 2002

ive lived 11 years in a house that utilized asbestos air ducts, which at some point were distressed(torn/seperated). They have been removed but my family is freaking out due to our exposure. It looks as though there are two strong opinions regarding asbestos, media scare vs. deadly substance. Any one have experience with something of this nature. (the ducts were not wrapped in asbestos, they were actually comprised of aluminum and asbestos, hence the stamp on them, Alumisbestos). Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ranchhand

Asbestos is dangerous only if it is in what is called a friable (spelling?) condition. Friable is defined as a physical (as opposed to chemical) condition wherein microscopic particles are released and become airborn. This is the only time asbestos becomes dangerous to humans. And it is dangerous only in the lungs.

Microscopic particles are released only from asbestos material which is deteriorating. The material that was the biggest offender was sprayed-on insulation over heating ducts in offices and especially schools in big cities. For a long time the material was perfectly safe; however, unknown to suppliers and contractors, the material would decompose and powder over long periods of time, and that is when it became dangerous.

The ducts you described are entirely safe, and probably would have remained so indefinitely. They were not deteriorating or powdering, thus not releasing any friable material into the air.

My brother in law is a scientist for decades with the EPA in Washington; he was one of the original researchers for the Love Canal debacle which started the whole "environmental polluion" movement. When we purchased our home, the heating ducts in the basement had asbestos paper wrapped around them; I did a lot of investigating and discovered that they posed no danger to us. Just to be safe I sprayed them with white spray paint, and that is called encapsulation.

Bookmark   September 13, 2002 at 4:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthworm

And what the Ranch-hand posts is called common-sense, with a good shot of intellect.
Adrian

Bookmark   September 15, 2002 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Bleach on carpet
Okay, posted at one fo the other boards, but I am desperate!! Hello,...
Jessarlyn
Getting cat urine smell out of carpet...
What's the best way? Or what's the best thing to make...
nadastimer
Is the snow causing roof damage or any plumbing issue?
My first floor bathroom today have water leaking from...
jhome2015
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
Chimney waterproofing
Hi I desperately need help here First time home owner Today...
mishyq
Sponsored Products
Athena Outdoor Throw Pillow, Patio Furniture
$80.00 | FRONTGATE
Radiant Orchid Bold Stripe Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Saginaw Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Classic Lighting Corporation Empress Chrome 24-Light Flush Mount Light
LuxeDecor
16" Diane Textured Bronze Wood Blades Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Keep-Kool 16.9-ounce Double-wall Stainless Steel Mugs (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Campania International Antique Temple Ram Garden Statue - A-488 - NATURAL
$469.99 | Hayneedle
Victoria Gazebo
Home Decorators Collection
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™