Dampness under plastic mats?

CynaSeptember 20, 2002

Was wondering if anybody had this problem. I live in a small townhome. I have plastic mats under my two computer chairs in my living room. When I lift up the plastic mats the carpet under it feels really damp and when I put my nose to it it smells like mildew. and I haven't spilled anything on the carpet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heather74

if this is a basement unit, it might be damp from ground water. concrete is porous and naturally occuring water from rain, snow etc may seep through the concrete.

it might also be damp from humidity...the plastic may have trapped in moisture from humidity in the air...

or maybe something spilled and got trapped under the plastic?

Bookmark   September 20, 2002 at 9:08AM
mjsee

I think heather has it--CONDENSATION. I don't have a fix for this-- does anyone? Melanie

Bookmark   September 22, 2002 at 1:19PM
Geoff

Removing the mat would solve it I do think; that is if it is a condensation issue. I agree that would be a logical assessment if we knew that this was in fact a concrete slab (or basement floor)upon which the carpet was laid. I have a desk chair on wheels and I don't use a mat. No problem to me. I vacuum out the dents from the wheels.

Bookmark   September 27, 2002 at 2:54PM
mjsee

There are mats that don't have little feet like things so that thee is a bit of airspace for hte carpet to breathe--I'm not explaining this very well, but if you go to Staples or Office Max and look at the mats, you will see what I mean. DH has a pasement office, with industrial carpeting, on a slab--one of these mats--NO MOLD OR CONDENSATE.

Good luck! Melanie

Bookmark   September 28, 2002 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Broken Mercury Thermometer
Last night my DD had a 100.2 temp so this am I went...
stir_fryi
House remodel gone wrong
Well, we messed up. We hired a man to do some pretty...
Dawn2298
Is the snow causing roof damage or any plumbing issue?
My first floor bathroom today have water leaking from...
jhome2015
Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!
I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect....
Cyd1900
Chimney waterproofing
Hi I desperately need help here First time home owner Today...
tinyminion
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™