My daughters freak home accident.

grdnchikSeptember 10, 2002

Yesterday Sunday, my daughter was in the garage with her rollerblades on and she accidently triped on to her fathers wooded work bench. She hit the corner of the very sharp table and lacerated her lower eyelid she complety wiped out her tearduct. She is doing a much better know but since she damaged her tearduct she is going to have reconstructive surgery to reconfigure it .She will be seen by an optomolagist(sp)tomorrow. I'm sure this is going to be a pricey ordeal but we must take care of it. I need advise on making a homeowner insurance claim or not. Please keep us in your thoughts.

Thanks a bunch

Garden Chick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Not sure about if they will pay for an accident of that sort, but it's worth asking. The worse they can say is no, which I have a feeling they might. I hope your daughter is better soon- I totally feel for you. Mine was practicing gymnastics in her room one day and fell off her bed, slamming her forehead into a huge ceramic piggy bank that was beside her bed on the floor. Nothing more alarming than seeing your baby with blood on her face and not being totally sure if they're ok or not....I almost had a heart attack and cried as much as she did. Good luck with everything.

    Bookmark   September 10, 2002 at 10:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Depending on your policy the only coverages I can see that you may be considering are the guest medical coverages. They are just that, for guest. Personal liablility covers your liability if someone is hurt, (other than a family member)and comes after you for damages ie, dog bite, slipping on step/ice, falling into a hole the dog has dug etc. Please ask around before you submit a claim, it would be considered an incident and some companies could have a problem with that. Do you have medical insurance? If so, that's what I would use. That's my 2 cents worth.

    Bookmark   September 10, 2002 at 11:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I agree with TwoAcres. Check with your agent before even calling your insurance claims office. Any claims against your homeowners policy could result in an increase of rates or risk of cancellation. I think you might be better off filing under your medical coverage.

    Bookmark   September 11, 2002 at 8:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That's the double edged sword. We take out homeowner's insurance for incidents like these. But when we file a claim, they can cancel the policy!

Seems they forget that its our money they get every month.

    Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 7:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This post is 9 years old. I sure hope the issue has been resolved by now.

    Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 8:54AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Walk me through overflowed tub, waterfall in kitchen disaster
Yup. My 15 yo ds woke up this am, decided to take a...
Bleach stains on bathtub
My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was...
Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!
I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect....
Is the snow causing roof damage or any plumbing issue?
My first floor bathroom today have water leaking from...
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™