Neighbor discharging sump water into our yard

wander74February 7, 2012

Our neighbor has been battling water in their basement since we moved here. They were pumping water into a dry well to the front of their house. They've decided this isn't working and decided to drain out the back. They installed a perforated pipe running along side of our property line (about 6 ft from the line) and is buried about 18 inches down. It immediately started flooding in our yard. We've asked them to divert the flow and they have refused, saying this was their only option. I haven't been able to talk to anyone at the township office who can help me (we are in southern NJ). Is this even legal? I'd like to not go that route as we do need to live next to each other and our children our friends.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wander74

I'm not sure how I posted in this forum, I don't think this is where it belongs but am not sure how to move it.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 3:00AM
krissie55

Where does the perforated pipe end drain? Does it drain into the street?

Directing water into your yard is not legal.

You could build a high berm and plant a rose garden. The berm would stop water from flowing into your yard and as far as I know it is legal, part of your landscaping. You could build a retaining wall along the property line. This would stop flow of water into your yard.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 9:46PM
bentleysuprr

That is a tough situation. I would look further into the township to do something. Putting something up temporary could help some.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Energy usage has increased since net metering installed
My electricity energy usage had never exceeded 700kw...
dawnedell
Geothermal $6K per ton?
In my ongoing quest into the geothermal world, this...
cs6000
Can solatubes go horizontal?
We just redid I our house and I am depressed at how...
newhome123
I need a better way to finish this crown molding
Hi. Kitchen remodel, brand new cabinets with crown...
skuba
Critique of House plan
I am still trying to figure out the perfect plan for...
jenlef82
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™