TV timer

kal2002June 30, 2009

Does anyone know of a timer that will turn on a TV?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdbillp

Most new TVs have a timer in them. So do most TVs sold in the last 8-10 years or so.

If you know that yours doesn't have a timer, then the TV must have a mechanical on/off switch for an outboard timer to work properly.

If your TV does have a mechanical on/off switch, then a simple lamp timer should suffice. You simply leave the TV power on and then set the lamp timer to activate it.

They are available at most hardware stores such as Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 10:14PM
kal2002

This TV is not that old. It is a 13" Sansui. It has a push button for turning in off and on. I plugged it into a lamp timer. The timer turned it off but it would not turn it on. When I had an older TV that I had to turn the knob for off and on, the timer could turn it off and on without a problem. Any idea why the timer works for one and not the other?

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 3:47PM
jdbillp

The on/off button on your old TV makes a mechanical connection. If you unplug that TV while it is on, then plug it back in, it will turn back on. The physical connection inside the switch was never altered.

The on/off switch on your Sansui TV is an electronic one. If you unplug it while it is on, then plug it back in, it will not turn back on. Someone has to push that on/off button to make the electronic connection.

If you want a TV that turns on and off with a timer, then it looks like it is time to buy a new TV with an on/off timer built in.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
Headphone jack
Dug up a sub-mini plug for my home phone earphone jack....
stoveguyy
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Lost sound on my computer.
Once again I need your help. I have been persuaded...
ronalawn82
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™