Meterorites

speweyAugust 26, 2002

Last week while I was away a small meteorite hit my house, breaking a window, passing through a laminate floor upstairs and shattering a ceramic tile in my kitchen floor downstairs before going into the basement and burying itself into a small impact crater downstairs in the slab. I can fix the window easily, have some spare tiles for the kitchen and can patch the ceiling and fill the crater with Quikrete, but the laminate is badly dimpled around the hole and the edges are burned. The hole is not that large; the meterorite was probably no bigger than a golf ball, but can the laminate be repaired? Should I simply make a patch from a spare board? I'm afraid it will look like a plug. Or can I cut the piece out and patch in another board? This is glue-down laminate; I am afraid if I pry up the board I will just make a mess. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joed

Meteorites are valuable. Sell it and use the money for repairs.

Bookmark   August 26, 2002 at 8:00PM
parhelia

wow! that's a wild thing to happen! i don't know how much you could sell the meteorite for, but have you thought about reporting the damage to your insurance agent? don't most homeowner insurance policies have an "act of God" clause? surely a meteorite qualifies! hey, they'll pay for storm damage, and i guess you could say this is storm damage, of a sort.... interstellar storm damage!

good luck with repairs!

Bookmark   August 27, 2002 at 10:22AM
Brian_Hall

Meteorites sell in the $400/gram range. Something the size of a golfball is easily in the thousands. Take pictures!!!

Brian

Bookmark   August 27, 2002 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
Heating Oil Spill & Smell
So here is my issue. Currently under contract to purchase...
jemcdonald
Problem neighbors and being watched by them
Hi I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section but...
NicholeN
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™