Need help finding a door

katy_bugJanuary 8, 2010

We had an energy audit done and I am trying to improve on a few things we can do ourselves. One place that was very leaky is the door from the house to the storm cellar. The previous owner installed a regular interior hollow door even though the door leads to a space that is vented to the crawlspace.

Where do I look for a solid or insulated door that looks like an interior door. At Lowes, all I can find are hollow doors or exterior doors that are sold with the frame and everything.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

Have you checked a salvage/reuse center? Most older wood doors are solid.

However, "leaky" really doesn't have much to do with whether the door is hollow or not. Leaky means airs is getting in around the perimeter of the door. You can probably fix that with a sweep at the bottom and weather stripping on the sides and top.

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 9:33AM
katy_bug

That is true and we have done the weatherstripping and door sweep. I just assumed that a hollow door would not be a good option for an outside door. I found a salvage place around here . . . I just have to be willing to sort through stacks and stacks of doors to find the right size. It is not a very organized place!

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 9:48AM
Billl

I didn't mean to imply a hollow interior door was appropriate. I just wanted to make sure you were doing the things that would have the biggest impact. A solid door with a gap at the bottom is going to let out way more heat than a hollow door that is properly sealed. Obviously, the best option is to have an exterior quality door that is properly sealed.

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 9:15AM
ionized_gw

If the weatherstripping is done and the door needs some insulation, consider some flat insulation on the back side where you won't see it.

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Solar Panel on Shed, Standalone?
I have a small shed, like 10' x 12'. It is about 30'...
redsun9
Geothermal issue
I don't know whether to post this under renewable energy,...
katieb2007
I need a better way to finish this crown molding
Hi. Kitchen remodel, brand new cabinets with crown...
skuba
Geothermal $6K per ton?
In my ongoing quest into the geothermal world, this...
cs6000
solar pods?? is it worth it?
first that I remember saw mentioned in "Farm Show"...
jeanwedding
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™