Digital TVs and need for cable box?

tabbaldwinJune 8, 2007

Right now all our old TVs are analog while our newest in our new theater room is HDTV and using an HD-DVR cable box. I'm in the market for a "spare" TV for another room. Knowing changes are coming up, I'll be buying one that includes a digital tuner. Okay, here's my question.....will I need a cable box after the Feb. 2009 change-over on my new digital TV purchase? Guy at BestBuy told me that as things stand today, I WILL need one to receive anything other than the over-the-air stations. (Bummer--I thought I'd get one of those flat panel ones to mount in the corner--no room for cable box.) I have Mediacom cable and currently do not need a box for any TVs receiving basic stuff below channel 100 (non-digital pkg). I don't see why I'd need a box after the change (except for the old analog TVs) if the new TV can receive digital signals. Please help me understand! Thank you!!

Tracey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

As of March 1, 2007, television sets that can receive signals over-the-air, including pocket-sized portable televisions, must include digital or HDTV tuners so they can receive digital broadcasts.

Takes a while for them to show up on the shelfs of the neighborhood retailer.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 9:22PM
tabbaldwin

Thank, Mikie. Yeah, I saw the "consumer alert" on the pre-digital tuner sets displayed at the stores.

Well, we made our purchase, yet this time the sales guy said we won't need a cable box after 2009 "just because" (like the first guy said) on the new sets (for basic cable programming), just for the old analog sets. Guess we'll find out then.......

Tracey

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 9:46AM
dgmarie

My guess is that you will be able to receive "basic tier" programming with your digital ready TV. To receive anything past that you will need a "cable card ready" TV and cable card or a cable box.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
vizio xvt473sv dead
I have a 4 year old VIZIO XVT473SV that now has NO...
thew60
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
modem switch, ethernets, and extension cables
Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction....
jally
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™