Tracing Wiring

ctghostJune 9, 2007

I purchased a travel trailer that came equipped with some type of unknown built-in electronics package (stereo, radio, etc). The electronics unit broke and the previous owner cut the plug off the back of the unit and threw it away.

All I have are several wires and no idea where they go. There are several speakers mounted to the ceiling in the living/kitchen area and bedroom and what I guess is a speaker mounted close to the floor in the cabinet where the old unit was located.

I would like install something and take advantage of the speakers and wiring, yet don't have a clue as to how to go about determining what wires go where, etc. Let alone how I might connect these to a replacement unit.

I have contacted the trailer manufacturer (Coachmen) and they were unable/unwilling to provide any assistance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to how to proceed from here.

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klaa2

You can use a digital multimeter to check continuity. Get a multimeter from a local electronics store, like Radio Shack, or borrow one from a friend. Set the unit to check continuity. You place one probe on the end of one of the wires and then use the other probe to touch the end of the the other group until you hear the unit make a noise. When it does, this means that the signal ran from one end to the other and you have a match. Have some masking tape on hand to mark the matching wires.

It really is pretty easy to do. If the ends of the wires are far apart, you may need to twist another piece of wire to the end to make it reach the probes.

Hope I explained it okay.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
previous post about 50ML8105D
My previous post about my Magnavox/Phillips 50"...
tribefan53
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
13.2v Battery Charger
The battery charger for my Craftsman drill has died...
randy427
50" dlp tv
Here is a picture of the whole part...
tribefan53
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™