Basement always floods, need help getting to the bottom of this

bentleychris23August 14, 2011

Hi, my basement always floods. We have a staircase going down to the basement and theres a drain at the bottom. In addition we have at 1 foot high brick that prevents water from flowing down the staircase. It still floods. Who can I contact to permanently fix this problem? or do you any of you guys know what could be wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"my basement always floods."

Start looking at the drainage around the house.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 12:37PM
nycefarm_gw

Roto rooter the drain? Check that all gutters are clear, watch the downspouts and note where the water goes. Maybe an extension on the downspout will carry the water far enough away?

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 4:36PM
skyelily24

you might want to check the grade of the land surrounding your house. The ground should slope away from your foundation. The general consensus is that it should slope down 6" for the first ten feet. To test this you'll need 2 stakes, a 12' piece of string and a string level.Take stake A and pound it into the ground next to your foundation. Tie the string to it and slide the string down the stake til it rests on the ground. Tie the other end of the string loosely around stake B , measure 10' down the slope away from the house and pound stake B into the ground. String between stakes should be taut but adjustable. slide the string up or down stake B til it looks level. Then put the string level on the string about mid way between the two stakes and adjust the string making it exactly level. Measure from the string end at stake B to the ground. Should be 6" or more. If it isn't, hopefully you can adjust the grade by adding fill next to the foundation.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Bleach stains on bathtub
My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was...
wishnwell
Termites? Or what is it....... Oh no!
Okay I was adding a small entry door to my garage (have...
jeffpas
House remodel gone wrong
Well, we messed up. We hired a man to do some pretty...
Dawn2298
Boarders in single families
Like to have input how different cities and towns handle...
jonnyp
Chimney waterproofing
Hi I desperately need help here First time home owner Today...
mishyq
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™