Drain Flies

lostinitAugust 15, 2010

Anyone have experience in mitigating Drain Fly populations? I have seen a few of these in my home. One in a bathroom with a stand shower and another near the kitchen. What is the recommended plan of attack?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joed

A table spoon of oil into the drain will prevent them from breading in the water. Do it at night before you go to bed or before you leave for work, so the oil stays as long as possible.

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 10:01PM
stolenidentity

oil?? Do you mean baby oil, olive oil or what? Surely not motor oil?!?

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 2:23PM
brickeyee

Mineral oil works fine (unlike food oils it does not go rancid) and should only need to be replenished if the drain is used.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 11:28AM
joed

Any type of oil works but obviously you don't want to put motor oil down the drain. Cooking oil(mazola etc) or mineral oil are typically what is used. Baby oil would probably work. The idea is to seal the surface of the water so the flies can't use it to breed.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 2:29PM
bleigh

Even though I'm a bit late to the conversation, t wanted to add my experience. We have a stand shower in our bath that used to have a door. I kept noticing little worms and drain flies. The worms are the larva and they were coming from a very weird spot in the bottom of the shower door. I'm a meticulous cleaner and get places that a lot of folks don't think about so I was stumped. After further investigation of the door, I found an area that was impossible to clean where they were coming from. I removed the door, put up a curtain and have not seen a drain fly since. Just wanted to mention that these flies don't always come from the drain.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 2:45PM
monkeymo

You can also get something like Invade Bio Foam. You can find it at www.bugfreezone.com or other internet sites that sell pest control products.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 10:18PM
M_T_M

At my wife's urging, I purchased BioFoam thru Amazon. It did not work for me. I have also tried various combinations of bleach, drain cleaner, boiling water, vinegar and baking soda.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 4:48PM
kathyr7944

We struggled with these guys in our bathroom for months. Tried BioFoam, oil, to no avail. I did some research, and tried ammonia. It worked! I poured about 1/2 cup in each drain, and left it for several hours. I repeated once or twice, and then was fly free for 8 months. I repeated the treatment, and they are gone again.

KathyinJax

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Walk me through overflowed tub, waterfall in kitchen disaster
Yup. My 15 yo ds woke up this am, decided to take a...
nini804
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™