Thinking about a Solar panel system,???s

garycookJanuary 30, 2006

I am thinking about a solar system and am just starting to explore the costs and viability.Has anybody got any experience? advice?

I live in N.Nevada and have a flat roof condo,2000sqft,3br,3bth. I use about 1.3kwhr per month.I believe there is a credit of 4.00 a watt by my utility. At $68 oil I am getting interested and want to beat the rush when oil hits $120 in 2years,any help would be appreciated.

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RCMJr

You're looking at a pretty good sized system . . if you wanna come close to generating your usage over any period of time . . . though as best I know Nevada has a fair amount of sunshine available.

My usage was 160 to 320 kWh / month ( over a 5 year period / 1800 sq ft ) . . ended up putting in 2.8 kW array and grid-tie / inverter / batteries etc. I meet about 80% of my usage on an annual basis. I'm in central New York state; the weather here ( solar-wise ) is abomnible at times. A sunnier clime would produce more electricity for sure. Know that if considering such a system; that every dollar spent reducing consumption; provides about $20 reduction of system cost. NY has a pretty good incentive; at the time of my installation it was $4 per watt of PV panel rated capacity. Toss in a state tax credit, and a federal one too . . all told they ate about half the cost of the system; which was ~ $30k for the whole shootin' match; installed. This include the WHOLE thing; including dealing with the local utility which can be no small nightmare. You don't wanna do this strictly for financial reasons; at least here and in most places it just doesn't "work" well in that sense. Do it for other reasons as well . . such as independence during power outages, environmental reasons . . etc.

I'll agree that it is cheaper / faster payback to do other types of solar . . . such as water / space heating etc; than PV stuff. PV continues to get cheaper, and rates continue to go up . . some day it WILL "pay" to do; right now most places it just isn't the case . .

Good luck . . .

Bob

Bookmark   January 30, 2006 at 6:39PM
More Discussions
Seeking Feedback on Bright Home Solutions in NYC Area
if any of you have used Bright Home Solutions based...
dreamojean
Solar Panel on Shed, Standalone?
I have a small shed, like 10' x 12'. It is about 30'...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Thoughts on Solar Leases
Folks, I would like to hear from those who currently...
NRG Home Solar
Radon system
Can somebody tell me why there's condensation outside...
ahold
Ideas on how to capture gray water runoff from A/C?
The pipe that comes out of our crawl space which empties...
momfromthenorth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™