Using a splitter with digital converter box

catherinetJune 8, 2009

Hi all,

I have my converter box, TV, and VCR up and running, but would like to also be able to tape onto my DVR. Can I still use a splitter? Would I place it between the converter box and the VCR or between the VCR and DVR???

I know everything has to be done after the converter box, but didn't know if it mattered where. I hope this is possible.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjb999

You should be able to use a splitter - you could use an rf - the aerial type splitter- or, you can get rca type splitters - but since the converter box is where you select the channels, you will still only have one channel at a time, as far as I know - or does your converter box feed multiple channels through? If so, you're good provided you don't degrade the signal by multiple splits.

I would put the splitter right after the converter.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 3:25PM
catherinet

Thanks pjb,
I tried the splitter between the converter box and the DVR and VCR, but it seems the picture quality went down.
I have been playing with the idea of taping my shows on my DVR instead of the VCR, so maybe (since the splitter seems to decrease the pic quality) I can get a switch thing, which would allow me to either use the VCR or the DVR (one at a time).....which hopefully would mean the pic quality would stay unaffected?

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 3:53PM
eeagle

I would just run composite (Y) or component (G,B,R) and their associated audio (R, W) from the converter box to the DVR. I think you will get a higher quality recording than trying to use an RF (coax) signal.

If you must have an RF signal get a high quality RF 3-way splitter recommended by your cable company; where I live they install them for free.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 5:23PM
regus_patoff

With only (1) converter box, you'll only be able to watch and/or record (1) channel at a time.

What's the model number of the converter, TV, VCR, and DVR ?

(you didn't buy an HD TV yet ?)

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 9:54PM
catherinet

No, I didn't buy another TV. I decided to just use my old one with a Zeinith converter box. I have a Phillips TV and a panasonic VCR and a Sony DVR - model RDR-VX530.
I feel bad for all the people out there, even less smart than me, who are going to run into lots of frustrating problems.
But who knows......maybe soon there will be another invention that will make it all easier again.
We don't have cable out here, and can't get much of anything else since its so expensive.
After the analog doesn't work anymore on Friday, I'll probably be able to better assess what I want to do. But at least I have the converter box, VCR and TV hooked up and working. I have to regrow a few brain cells to move on to the DVR. haha

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
vizio xvt473sv dead
I have a 4 year old VIZIO XVT473SV that now has NO...
thew60
seek expert on plug-in wax-tart warmers
I bought this plug-in tart warmer via the Net, made-in-china,...
jally
Where to buy cassettes for music
We still play cassettes in two of our old cars. I need...
loralee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™