Am I just paranoid, or did my neighbor 'borrow' my phone line?

sukisAugust 29, 2007

We have two neighbors who have cut through our phone line over the course of the past year. The last and most recent time was when a neighbor two houses over hired a company to install an irrigation system. The guys cut through multiple phone lines as well as septic lines.

This last neighbor has never been happy with the quality of their phone line, says it's noisy. He made enough noise up the Verizon ladder to have a tech out here this past Sunday to lay him a new line. Later that day, our phone ceased to work. Our phone indicates the line is "in use." All we get is noise; if I try to redial a number in caller id memory, I get a few busy signals, then nothing. Phone company says it won't be convenient to do anything for us until Saturday.

Is it possible we were sacrificed to make the noisy guy happy? Mind you, the folks to the right of us (owners of local pharmacy), the dentists to the left, the folks with the new line (so he can work out of his house), as well as the folks next to them (made a BIG stink last time they cut his line, as he also works from home) all have working lines. Coincidence or am I paranoid?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Call Verizon service and get them to restore your phone service. Telling us about the problem will not get it restored. I think your neighbor is guilty only of causing the phone lines to be cut. And does your internet service use the phone line?

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 12:56PM
joed

The phone repair person caused the problem. His book probably said that the line was unused so he disconencted it. Happens all the time to my sister. House next to her has same street number according to phone company(not true). Everytime someone moves in or out they mess her line up trying to connect them up.

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 1:34PM
davidandkasie

all you can do is call Verizon. Saturday is not that bad for residential service, in my area Bellsouth says 10-14 days for a residential outage, even if they caused it. they usually do not take that long, but that is what they will tell you.

BTW, the noise on the line may have been a bad card in the RT. the tech swapped the neighbors with one that was marked as unused, but it was yours. jsut explain to the telco that your line was fine until they fixed your neighbors, and now you have his problem.

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 1:57PM
sukis

Oops, they did it again. Verizon has finally conceded that enough damage has been done after this last event that a new line is warranted. Maybe three years is the charm!

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 11:05PM
lsst

Sukis,
I have been going through the same thing for four years now.
I have terrible static and at one point lost my dial tone.
I have actually dialed out and at the same time can hear other people dialing out and having conversations.
I was told ATT " piggy backs" lines and at one point it was repaired. Today, I picked up the phone and made a call and the noise is back.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 10:26AM
aidan_m

It seems that you already have high speed internet, why not get VOIP? I have had "vonage" and "magic jack" which both work fine. To heck with the phone company and their pathetic service. I haven't used a land line in years.

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 5:26PM
dilly_dally

A land line can be a life line in an emergency. If satallites go out during a storm or are blocked, and that happens a lot here, a land line can be an asset. Ditto for when the cell phone company screws up and you need to make an important call.

Just get the cheapest, basic service with no extras. I hate paying for crappy landline service too but feel more secure with another option for communicating in an emergency. If you are thinking of getting an alarm system for your home they may need a phone line to hook up to too.

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 11:15PM
chairthrower

In my old house, I used to call in (Verizon) whenever my modem speeds dropped (this was a while ago) and could hear audible static on the line. The repair person would come out and swap my pair and I'd be fine. I'm certain they used that pair for someone else. After a while a tech told me the trunk feeding our neighborhood was being attacked by squirrels and they eventually had to run a new one.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!
I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect....
Cyd1900
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
Heating Oil Spill & Smell
So here is my issue. Currently under contract to purchase...
jemcdonald
I melted the drawer fronts on my cheap plastic cabinets!
Ok this is not a huge disaster as disasters go, but...
gin_gin
Neighbor's yard is full of junk
We live in a quiet, middle class neighborhood. Neighbors...
rubber_duckie_27
Sponsored Products
Crimson Hastings Persian Style Super Kazak Rug 4'x5' Hand Knotted Wool Rug H3961
BH Sun Inc
Area Rug: Summerton Life Style Collection Mist Red 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Worthy Ottoman - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
AF Lighting Candice Olson Drizzle 8441-3H Pendant - 8441-3H
$224.14 | Hayneedle
Hudson Counter Stool
Cost Plus World Market
White Lines Embroidered Flat Sheet - King/Cal King
Crane and Canopy
People viewed this after searching for: