transfer for hand embroidery

ohiojudyDecember 5, 2004

Ok, I'm feeling very stupid. Transfers for hand embroidery used to be "iron on". Now I bought a Santa and I need a light box or window, but what do I trace it with?? I tried a colored pencil and it didn't trace dark enough. I don't want my lines to show when I finish. Back in the "olden days" you used to just iron it on, grumble grumble. Help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Seems to me I'd try tracing paper (such as you would for sewing darts on clothes)and a stylist or a pencil. The tracing paper does wash out. Give it a try.
Happy Holidays

    Bookmark   December 6, 2004 at 8:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I love to embroider the "old fashioned way" by hand instead of by machine. Actually my machine is old fashioned too and only does limited embroidery. I am trying to find a celestial or metaphysical set of transfers that can be put on velvet so they can't be iron on transfers, but after searching for over 18 months and being artistically challenged myself (so I can't draw them) I have been unable to find anything. Does someone have a suggestion as to where they can be found? This is to be a centerpiece for a comforter so it needs to be a fairly large design.

    Bookmark   January 14, 2005 at 10:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I don't know a lot about hand emroidery but have you tried finding something close to what you want. Printing it out(or copying it). You could even take it to a print shop and have it blown up. Then just trace it on to tracing paper.

    Bookmark   January 17, 2005 at 9:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

There are water soluable pens you can buy, they are in the embroidery dept or more likely the quilting area, they are fine tipped and come in aqua or purple, trace your patter with the lightbox or window method onto your fabric, then when you finish your project the lines wipe away with a damp cloth...I think that is what you were asking about? hope so. Janet

    Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 9:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

In the embroidery dept like Walmart, they have special pencils for this. You trace over the pattern with the pencil and tissue paper, then you can iron it on. I believe it is even called a transfer pencil. I have often used them. Good luck.

    Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 6:25PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Bobbin Thread Rising into Embroideries
I have a new (since February) Huqsvarna Rose sewing/embroidery...
pe design 2.0 help!!
hiya ive brought pe design 2.0 off of ebay its come...
Problem with HAINA machine (Tajima clone)
2 years ago I bought a 1 head 12 needles embroidery...
list of free design sites
Does anyone have a list of site that have free designs?...
hand embroidery needle HELP!!!
Hi! I need to find a specific type of embroidery needle:...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™