removing water from basement

charlotteartistAugust 6, 2003

How can I remove water from my basement? There's only about an inch. I am hoping Shop Vac isn't the only way. It's an absolutely enormous area. Then should I clean up with bleach? I'm worried about mold.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
publickman

You can buy a sump pump at many hardware stores. These are somewhat similar to the pumps used in ponds, and the smaller ones aren't that expensive and certainly useful to have on hand. If it's flooded once, it is liable to do it again.

Bookmark   August 6, 2003 at 3:56PM
chinacat_sunflower

a sump pump and a hose that leads outside, and a push broom or squeegee to push the water ahead of you...

I used Oxyclean powder to clean mine, actually, chlorine and I do NOT get along.

but getting it dry is more important, the longer it stays wet, the worse the problem will get.

Bookmark   August 6, 2003 at 3:59PM
lazy_gardens

First dump a quart or so of pool chlorine into the water and let it mix to avoid the mold porblem.

I would be wary about using electric appliances, like the shop vac, while standing in an inch of water. A sump pump draining into a laundry tub or the washer's drain line owuld work.

Bookmark   August 8, 2003 at 7:46PM
brickeyee

Try a garden pond pump. A sump pump has a 1.5 inch outlet and will not fit a garden hose very well. Even then, not many pumps can get down to one inch. A shop vac and a lot of trips may be the only good solution.

Bookmark   August 12, 2003 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
Craftman garage door 1/2 hp
when it start to not working the way it suppost to...
Ignacio7557
I melted the drawer fronts on my cheap plastic cabinets!
Ok this is not a huge disaster as disasters go, but...
gin_gin
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™