separate forum for hand embroidery?

mollyjaneaDecember 17, 2013

anyone else think this would be a good idea? machine embroidery is a totally different subject. i don't do machine embroidery and would like a forum that actually addresses what i do! just a thought...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbfirewife

I would like that also....

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 8:55PM
mollyjanea

hey db, good to see there's someone out there. what kind of embroidery do you do? i like redwork and simple embroidery in homey type motifs.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 9:52PM
dbfirewife

Right now I am working on some t towels for my granddaughter... I know people don't use them now days like they used to but thought maybe some day they would bring back some good memories of me for her. I am doing the 7 days a week of a kitten pattern and making the kittens a dark orange, the same color as her orange tabby cat. My Granny got me started embroidering when I was about 13, she made t towels out of flour sack, stamped the patterns on. I remember having the best time embroidering with her and how proud I was of them. I still have them. I go back and forth between embroidery and crocheting with thread, making more things that people don't use anymore... lol...

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 7:25PM
cateyanne

did a separate hand embroidery forum ever get established? I don't see one.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 11:33AM
sylviatexas1

You might contact GardenWeb via the link at the bottom of the page (in the gray area, second column, "Contact Us") & ask for such a forum.

or maybe they could sort of subdivide this forum;
when I cllicked on it, I was surprised to see that it was all about machine embroidery.

I too learned embroidery when I was a teen, & I still like the old patterns-
days of the week
Sunbonnet Sue
bluebirds
baskets

etc.

Best luck!

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 6:34PM
GrannieAnnie_MO

I love the old, stamped patterns - can't do the tiny cross stitch that are pre-stamped, etc. I have several vintage patterns and tons of thread. Would anyone be interested in trading patterns and/or thread?

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 6:12PM
josephene_gw

Surprised too it's just machine emb
Maybe crossstitch forum?
That's emb.

Bookmark   January 11, 2015 at 4:07PM
beesneeds

I'm a little bummed too at how much machine embroidery there is and how little hand embroidery. Maybe hand embroidery is just a bit too labor intensive for a lot of people now that there's machines for it.

I do blackwork, redwork, and whitework. Crosstitch. Printed patterns. I design and do monograms, particularly for handkerchiefs. Bullion work and other metallic work for things like trims, embroidered beadwork. Jacobean work and Assisi.

Most of this stuff just does not translate to machine work.

Bookmark   February 21, 2015 at 3:23PM
lola8325 zone5KS

It would be nice if there was a "Hand Sewing" or "Hand Stitching" or "Hand Embroidery" forum. (Or "Sewing by Hand", "Stitching by hand" or "Embroidery by Hand" or.... )

I've hand embellished allot of crazy quilt patch seams and patches with some fancy embroidery combination stitches. I find stitching by hand to be very enjoyable and relaxing and addictive.

Some of the folks on the quilting forum hand stitch their quilts.

Maybe we could always say "Hand Embroidery _____ " when we have something to say or need advice.

Lola

1 Like    Bookmark   February 21, 2015 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Wanting to know more about machine embroidery
A friend brought back from France a really beautiful...
Ennoh
New to Machine Embroidery...Brother Innovis 4000D
Hi Everyone: I have just discovered this forum and...
SewReel
list of free design sites
Does anyone have a list of site that have free designs?...
crittersareme
Pfaff 5D software
Hello, I am purchasing a Pfaff 2140 machine at a local...
byrdgirl65
Help!! Anyone have a Brother SE-270D embroidery unit?!
Help! I made a huge mistake. I knew nothing about sewing...
Caitmon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™