Mice in basement

hooked_on_tomatoesAugust 17, 2011

I have mice in my basement. Put out traps & sticky pads, caught 5 of them so far. I have a picture here, can you please help me identify the type of mouse? I have read about Hantavirus and am worried. Any help would be really appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loose_Screw

It looks like he was packing his suitcase to leave before you killed him?

Really, it looks like a common White-footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus).

Hantavirus is a real disease, but less common than say, Shark bites. Note the following statistics are covering a 17 year period. And note they are all western states. Many rodent species can carry Hantavirus, but you really have to play with their poo a lot to catch it. Is there any chance you would like to get a cat?

As of July 2010, eight states had reported 30 or more cases of Hantavirus since 1993 - New Mexico (84), Colorado (70), Arizona (62), California (42), Washington (41), Texas (37), Utah (31) and Montana (30). Other states reporting a significant number of cases include Idaho (16), Kansas (15), South Dakota (15), and North Dakota (12). With only 11 cases, Oregon has a notably lower attack rate overall and relative to population, compared to other Western states. [Source: Wikipedia]

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Heating Oil Spill & Smell
So here is my issue. Currently under contract to purchase...
jemcdonald
Advice On New Neighbor
This family moved in next door to us (they are renters)...
GardenGuy2000
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™