Horrible Smell in Basement!
I need help! We have our house listed for sale. After the first few showings, the feedback stated that there was a horrible smell in the basement! I guess since we live here, we can't smell it! We have 3 cats and one of our cats was sick - he had diarrhea. He would not go in his litter box while he had the diarrhea, always on the floor. We had to remove all carpeting from the basement because it was ruined. After removing the carpeting, he began to poop on the concrete floors. We have scrubbed and scrubbed until our fingers were raw! We used bleach water solution in front of the litter box (one of his favorite places to poop,in front of, not in the litter box!). We used about 80% strength of PineSol Lemon in water and mopped all the concrete floor and let it seep into the concrete. We washed all the walls down with PineSol. We have removed all boxes out of the basement because they too retained that wonderful smell. We even threw out the sofas down there. Our basement is basically empty, except for a few pieces of hard wood furniture. We burnt heavily fragranced candles hoping the wood and other things would soak up the candle smell to get rid of the lingering "odor". It's not cat urine, it's a smell like cat feces. We can not "find" any feces anywhere. We can't locate the source of the odor. After having a few neighbors and friends come in and perform a "sniff test" for us, the odor was gone - or so we thought. After a couple days, the odor is back. We have even had a builder tell us to dump coffee grounds on the concrete floors and let is set overnight to absorb the odor. I did that as well. Just made it smell like coffee for a few hours after I swept it all up. Can anyone recommend anything? I am desperate and overwhelmed at this point. We keep the litter boxes clean all the time, but my cat is still "pooping" half the time in the box and the other half on the floor. It's not the current poop that's the problem, it's the lingering smell of past poop I guess. My sister had her clothes down there and they stunk too! We have removed everyting fabric and anything in a box or materials out of the basment. I don't know if it's still in the concrete, if it's in the walls (which is panelling), air ducts or where it is coming from. Help me please! If anyone can recommend a cleaning solution that has worked for them, or any other possible solution, please let me know. I'm at my wits end! My basement is so clean you could eat off the floors, it just stinks!!!