Advice On New Neighbor
This family moved in next door to us (they are renters) and they just don't care about anything. The city I live in is the type of city where people buy the old houses, tear them down, and build huge houses on on the small properties. The house I live in does not have a garage, but I do have a driveway where I can park two cars deep. My house is rather small because it has not been torn down and build as new.
This next door neighbor, who lives in a huge house, has a double garage, and in front of his garage he has two more parking spaces, his driveway then narrows into single car length that goes out into the street. His garage is at the back of his house, so in theory, he could park like 7 cars on his property.
He parks one car in his driveway, and the other two on the street, (I guess he doesn't want to move one car out of the way in order to take the first car out)usually right in front of my house (I know, I know, its public property, you can't claim a parking space on the street, but I find it funny that they always park in front of my house first, and then in front of their house second). Also, I'd like to mention that they all drive SUVS, and there's only three of them. Now, I don't drive a Prius or anything but just wanted to throw that out there.
His son likes to show the neighborhood how awesome his car stereo is and likes to play it nice and loud. The properties are so close together that it's ridiculous, my daughter's bedroom is like 3 feet from their driveway where they park their car.
A couple of nights ago his son was out there yelling and swearing with his friends because he got locked out of the house, he was yelling and using the f bombs like they were going out of style. I'm not sure if they realize there are other people living here. And I'm like 4 feet away from them with my newborn.
And last but not least, whenever they park their car in their driveway and they have passengers, they like to park so close to my side of the property (because they are to lazy to drive further up near their garage where their driveway turns into a double width length) that their passengers get out on my grass.
The tires of their cars are actually touching my property line.
I'm not just talking about inches here. They actually get out of my front lawn, like 3 to 4 feet!
The first time I saw this I was truly amazed that they would actually do that.
Now to be fair, this is my first home (I have owned condos before). But does this not sound a bit strange to you guys?
My questions are as follow:
1) Does walking on grass daily damage it? Am I over reacting? I drove around the neighborhood to see if some houses had fences or shrub fences in their front yard (some do).
2) Also, I noticed that the mailman cuts right through our lawn as well! I'm thinking of putting some landscaping to help the mailman use our sidewalk. What kind of plants/shrubs would I need for that? I live in Michigan by the way.
3) I would like to either put a fence, either metal or some kind of shrub. Which one should I go with?
4) Do you need permission from your neighbor if you are putting in a fence in the front yard?
5) How exactly do I find out where the property line is? I'd hate to install a fence and then have the neighbor say it's actually on his property line.
Thanks for any information.
This post was edited by GardenGuy2000 on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 23:36