Direct TV & on demand

nelles_gwMay 22, 2012

I have Direct TV & 2 DVRs. I know that I should be able to "connect" to the internet so we can watch a whole slew of stuff from "on demand". The 2 DVR's are no where near the Comcast router, so how do I "connect"? Is it as simple as getting 2 router thingys & HDMI cables? I'd rather not have Direct TV come to the house to do the work, plus pay for Direct's equipment.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Greg__R

You need to connect the 2 DVRs to the Comcast router using 1 of two methods:

1) Wireless connection
2) Wired connection

With the wired connection, you'll run Cat5e or Cat6 through/under/around your house to your router. You'll want wall plates w. the appropriate jacks. This often is a reasonable DIY project.

For wireless, you'll want to get 2 wireless access points and a wireless router (if the comcast router is not already wireless). Each DVR will connect locally to an access point. The access points will then connect wirelessly to the router. I would suggest Linksys or D-link as good brands. You can expect to spend ~$300 for two N-band access points and a router if you buy new. Comcast may swap out your router to a wireless one for free if you ask (especially if you mention that you want to spend $$$ on their OnDemand & PPV services).

The wireless option will be more expensive in terms of hardware but should be fairly painless.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 6:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poobaloo

Curious, how come you pay for both DirecTV and Comcast? That's two programming providers in one household. I would think you could get a better value by bundling up one way or the other.

Given what you have, I'd suggest you wire a connection. Run a Cat-5 line. Simple for someone who does that for a living, but you might need a crimper to put some ends on. If you don't have a crimper or do that sort of stuff then get a 100' or 50' length with ends on it and you're home free.

Even if you change out providers later, having a cat-5 run from your router area to your TV area will come in handy. I have U-verse, and they don't even use cable any more. Just cat-5 right from their router to your cat-5 cable box -- it's neat.

I would run a couple while you're at it. You might need one for a Console Game, TV, Cable Box, Computer, or anything else you want to connect to the internet in that area later.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™