Advice needed - Lightning stuck the house

fatlesterJuly 22, 2005

Fortunately we were not home and there was no fire.

But the house was struck by lightning which first hit a tree and traveled across the ground and hit the house.

It knocked the baseboard heater off the wall inside the room it hit. Many parts of the house have no power though there is no evident pattern to it.

What do I need to know?

Any advise or experience with this would be much appreciated. Thanks, Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Jane, this happened to us last winter. We're in attached townhomes, and one lightning strike messed up multiple homes. I lost a TV, 2 DVD players, a lamp, etc. Lots of folks lost TVs, but no computers. Strange. Hire an electrical inspector to ascertain/fix your unseen damage, and call your home insurance agent to see if you are covered for this. Our HOA filed some paperwork on the off-chance we are eligible for disaster-relief, as this happened during the tremendous California storms.

    Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 3:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This happened to us as well. The only advice I have is fight like hell to get your insurance company to REPLACE all damaged items and not just "get them fixed". They pulled that on me and my old computer never worked correctly again.

    Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 8:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My advice to anyone who lives in lightning areas is to get a whole house surge protector. They are about $150 plus install and they are sure worth it!!!
Have not had problems with all our power outages or lightening strikes since. Only had one additional lightning strike and it didn't strike house but killed one of my horses. I was so devastated.

    Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 1:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hamptonmeadow, could you give more information or a link to
these whole house protectors? Does one contact the power company?

    Bookmark   December 5, 2005 at 12:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I believe you need to contact an electrician for a whole house power surge protector.

    Bookmark   December 14, 2005 at 5:05PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Broken Mercury Thermometer
Last night my DD had a 100.2 temp so this am I went...
Water Leak - Home Addition- HELP
We are right in the middle of a 1400 sq ft. home addition/...
Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!
I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect....
Help my grout turned blue in spots from Comet
Hi Unfortunately I was trying to clean my new Bathroom...
Dealing with a crazy neighbor
Condensed version: My neighbor aggressively pounds...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™