Embroidery design 'bubbles' after washing

mom_105November 5, 2006

Please help, I can't figure this out, can I be using too many stablizers? I usually, for a polo shirt use an iron on stablizer first, and then 2-3 layers of a tear away, and then hoop it. But after a few washings, the design isn't "flat" anymore. What I'm doing for a design is a small picture, and then a name, like work shirts. Maybe a better quality stablizer? I got my current stuff off of Ebay.Thanks for your help! Brenda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kick153

When I started embroidering, I noticed this same problem. An easy fix.....for stretchy fabrics, ie. knits and sweatshirts, use a medium weight cutaway stabilizer. One thickness should do it. Use spray adhesive to attach to garmet, hoop, stitch, then cut the stabilizer around the design. Should stay nice and flat for the life of the garmet. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   November 5, 2006 at 7:07PM
Laura_IA

Yep, it's the tear-away stabilizer that's causing your problems.

Use a cut-away, and if there is a high cotton content on the shirts, it couldn't hurt to wash and dry them first, so if they are going to shrink, they will have done most of it before you embroider. I always wash anything with cotton before I embroider.

Bookmark   November 5, 2006 at 9:25PM
Islay_Corbel

For polos I use a cut away mesh that's very light and shirts embroider beautifully.

Bookmark   November 6, 2006 at 2:53AM
stitcheasy2003

hi
If you have pulled your fabric to tight it will bubble. For knits or stretch type fabrics use No Show Polymesh(nylyon). I use No Show Fusible Polymesh for the shirt. I iron it on the back (wrong side) of the shirt. This will stop it from stretching. Bring it right side out. The fusible is put where my design is going to be on the right side. I use No Show Cutaway Polymesh in the hoop. The brand I have is Sew Stable.
You can use the loopless method if you don't want to hoop. Pin, baste, spray , glue, or sticky. B.

Bookmark   November 6, 2006 at 7:52AM
mcarmen

Use a 3-mil cut away on the bottom and your good. If your embroidery puckers you most likely pulled it too tight in the hoop. Hoop the polo with a natural drape and don't stretch it. If it's a pique that should work fine, if it's jersey then be extra careful to not stretch it. If you want you might try a bit of pull compensation on the jersey knits. You can get professional backings here: http://www.embroidery-supplies.com/ (Select Our Catalog)

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 3:04AM
growvolsgrow

Another thing you might check is to make sure your design isn't to dense. Sew your design on another fabric for a test run. Ask me how I know :) lol

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 2:58AM
More Discussions
Help with embroidery
I just recieved the Brothers SE400 sewing and embroidery...
JordonWalker0722
Husqvarna-Viking Designer 1 Software
Hi all, I have recently decided to try out the embroidery...
MaryPrim
separate forum for hand embroidery?
anyone else think this would be a good idea? machine...
Molly Adams
Brother PC8500 Memory Card
I recently acquired a Brother PC8500. As this is my...
rschum6718
beginner to embroidery, need help!
I just purchased and received today, a Brother SE400...
abshelby
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™