calling all techies - intercom, security, monitor, music system

4mom23girlsMay 26, 2011

We're in the process of building a house (one story, 5700 sq ft). We are just now figuring out all the wiring in the house. We have 3 young girls who will each have their own rooms. We'd like to put some sort of monitoring system, thus being able to "graduate" up from our baby monitor. The idea is to be able to hear each of them, should they need us while we are watching TV on the opposite side of the house or after we retire each night to our room. We don't necessarily need a system where they push a button to talk to us. We also will be needing a security system. And the "nice to have" feature would be music and phone hookups, but not necessarily in their rooms, but the "living areas and outside", etc.

So, is there a system that exists that has this feature? Or all these features? Or are each of these things separate? I know the security system, say from ADT, can be done after move-in, but what is the advantage of doing it before the house is built? And can it be somehow tied with the intercom into one complete system. I don't even know where to start or if I'm even describing this in a logical way. Please help me understand!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yosemitebill

With the size and scope of your project, you really need to find somebody knowledgeable, locally, to come out and view the project first hand and discuss options with you.

Once all of your want list is taken into account, though, you may find that this will be a good chunk-of-change.

While your intentions may be all good and pure, I would never design and/or install a system that allows of eavesdropping (for whatever reason) on occupants of areas that are considered to be private spaces.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 6:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
antss

bill is correct - this is not the place to design a system of that size.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Humidifier or Air Purifier?
I have been transfered to this city, with a small-size...
walker1846
Throw them away ?
I have a DVD player, a cassette player , a tuner ,...
salbwil
Lost sound on my computer.
Once again I need your help. I have been persuaded...
ronalawn82
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
vizio xvt473sv dead
I have a 4 year old VIZIO XVT473SV that now has NO...
thew60
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™