Embroidering on fleece - what stablizer

thelmaleeNovember 30, 2004

I need an answer to this question today if possible. I have just started embroiderying and have some fleece throws to put names on. What kind of stablizer is best and do I need something on top. I don't want to use anything that has to be washed out. I plan on using tear-a-way on the back. Is this ok?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joansews4u

You first have to get the fleece in a position that it will not stetch AT ALL! Totally Stable will do that & tear off. That will iron to the fleece. Be careful, use a press cloth to keep from accidently melting your fleece. Do not hoop fleece. Hoop another type tear away stabilizer & spray it with adhesive to hold the fleece. You will have to use a water soluble on top or your stitches will embed in the fleece. What of it that you can't pull away, you can use a damp cloth or lightly spray & lay out to dry. You won't have to totally wet it & try to wash it out. Match your bobbin & top threads.

Bookmark   November 30, 2004 at 11:51AM
Laura_IA

I usually use the Ultra Solvy washaway, sprayed lightly with 505 to hold the fleece. Keep in mind that if you use a tearaway, some of it will show on the back. It's about impossible to get every bit of the tearaway off, or at least it is for me.

I also use the regular Solvy on top so the stitched don't sink down so much, but that might not work if you don't want to use a washaway.

Bookmark   November 30, 2004 at 10:31PM
MaryinMichigan

Thelma - this might be too late but I just embroidered a design on a fleece scarf for my daughter. I used a stiff tear away on the back and light soluble on the front. I used Sulky Sticky in my hoop.

Bookmark   December 1, 2004 at 3:19PM
thelmalee

Thanks for the info. I am very new to embroidery and have only used the tear-away. The pocket books I have made, I used the heavy interfacing as the stablizer. I need information about spray on and sticky stablizer. However, I bought a refurbished brother 150 and it has stopped sewing. The top thread is bunching up underneath after about 1/8 inch. I am taking it to the shop today so maybe when I get it back I can learn more about stablizers and things associated with it. I have a friend that is going to put the names on the throws for me.

Bookmark   December 2, 2004 at 10:46AM
MaryinMichigan

Thelma if you have more question about the Brother 150 - I have that machine also, just ask!

(I really haven't had any problems with mine so I hope I can help with your projects.)

Bookmark   December 3, 2004 at 9:36AM
stitchntime9

The one trick I learned from Sewing with Nancy is to bring the bobbin thread to the top after a few stitches, hit the stop button, and sew over those threads after a few stitches, trim, and let the machine do its thing. It seems like a lot of hitting the start and stop button...it works with no bunching on the underside.

I think it's the reverse of pulling the top thread to the underside for regular sewing.

Bookmark   December 7, 2004 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Help with embroidery
I just recieved the Brothers SE400 sewing and embroidery...
JordonWalker0722
Wanting to know more about machine embroidery
A friend brought back from France a really beautiful...
Ennoh
Brother PE-SCAN Embroidery Scanner
Does anyone have a Brother PE-SCAN Embroidery Scanner...
redpenny
Brother PC8500 Memory Card
I recently acquired a Brother PC8500. As this is my...
rschum6718
pe design 2.0 help!!
hiya ive brought pe design 2.0 off of ebay its come...
mrsgeorge
Sponsored Products
Dahlia embroidered 60" table runner
Origin Crafts
Blue & White Scallop Accent Pillow
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Scalloped Pillowcase (Gray) - King
Crane and Canopy
Savannah Gardens Tablecloth 68" x 144"
$173.90 | Horchow
Light Bronze Metallic Embroidered Crest Shade Double Gourd Lamp
Lamps Plus