Just a rant about DVDs

sushipup1May 29, 2012

Over the weekend, we put on a BluRay disc of MammaMia, and I knew I had to rant. This disc was a present, someone paid full price for it, and what do we get? Previews of a couple of movies that were flops, ads for TV shows that lasted 1/2 season 4 years ago, a PSA on smoking, a long ad for BluRay discs. And I couldn't skip any of them! "Not available". Yeah, I could fast forward thru them, thankfully.

But why do I get ads when I buy a DVD? Maybe on a rental disc, but not when I'm buying. And previews are so rapidly dated that they are really annoying on slightly older DVDs.

There, now I feel better now that I've had my rant. ;-\

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azinoh

This is one of the many reasons why piracy, though illegal, is so popular.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 3:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Yeah, it's irritating, but the FF button can be your friend ... at least until it also gets blocked! :-)

Inability to outright skip specific sections of material is coded into the control software that the player reads from the disc.

I've also run across rental Blu-Ray DVDs that have access blocked to the extra features. A message advises that access is not blocked on retail discs.

It's all about the licensing with the movie studios ... which trust me on this, they're all bad and getting worse.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
Need a new Tv, thoughts on led/plasma
Im in the market to get a new tv. I have always preferred...
aellis722
why do I have to "install"apps on my tablet?
So why do I have to install apps on my tablet that...
clairebuoyant1
Cables and wiring? Cat6, hdmi, coaxial, ethernet?
I've been reading a lot on here about wiring our new...
tulips33
50" dlp tv
Here is a picture of the whole part...
tribefan53
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™