Low Carb Bread Recipe
Well, I've finally done it!!!! I've been trying to find a low-carb bread for my stepmother who is diabetic and think I've created a recipe that's not too high in carbs or calories. I've been making bread every weekend (and freezing and giving it away, because I can't eat it all!!!) and think I've finally got one that works.
This makes three loaves. But I killed the yeast one time, and it only made a big enough dough for one loaf. I baked it anyway, sliced it thin and still got 32 slices (hard to believe, but true) out of it. It was dense but very tasty and passed my 7 year old dd's taste test. If you don't kill the yeast like I did it comes out less dense and three loaves worth!!! I did also revise this a bit and am going to try it again this weekend to get it down to 6.4 carbs and 87.3 calories. The one below has 7.3 carbs and 91.2 calories per slice based on a 12 slice loaf and three loaves.
INGREDIENTS for LOW-CARB Bread
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
Â 1 teaspoon white sugar
Â 1/4 cup warm water
Â 1 3/4 cups warm water
Â 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Â 1 egg
Â 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Â 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
Â 1 1/2 cup ground flax seed
Â 1/4 cup bran flakes
Â 1/2 cup bread flour
Â 1 cup rye flour
Â 2 cups soy flour
Â 2 teaspoons salt
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in Â¼ cup warm water.
2. In a large bowl, mix remaining 1 Â¾ cups warm water, oil, egg and lemon juice. Mix well. Add yeast mixture and stir.
3. Measure flax and set to one side.
4. Mix all flours and bran flakes together.
5. Gradually add Â¾ of total flours to the wet mixture; beating well after each addition.
6. Add the flax, and any seeds/nuts you want to mix in and mix well.
7. Let stand for 20 minutes, until mixture is very light. Stir in salt and the rest of the flours until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
8. Knead 10 to 15 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Put into a greased bowl and cover, let rise in the oven with light on until doubled, about 1 hour.
9. Punch down and shape into 3 round balls. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
10. Form into loaves and let rise covered in oven until doubled. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) 25-35 minutes.
11. Cool for as long as you can stand before cutting. This slices very thin and holds up well. The last column (per serving) is the total carbohydrates divided by the number of slices, so if you slice it thinner or thicker, just count the number of slices and divide the total by that number.
Amount Ingredients grams Per 1 unit Total
1 Tablespoons active dry yeast (1/2 packet) 4.58 TBSP 4.6
1 Teaspoon Sugar 4.2 Tsp 4.2
0.25 Cup warm water 0 Cup 0.0
1.75 Cups warm water 0 Cup 0.0
0.25 Cup Vegetable oil 1 Cup 0.3
1 Egg 0.4 Egg 0.4
1 Tablespoon lemon juice 0.72 TBSP 0.7
0.5 Cups whole wheat flour 92.1 Cup 46.1
1.5 Cup flax seed 9.84 Cup 14.8
0.25 Cup bran 16 Cup 4.0
2 Teaspoons salt 0 Tsp 0.0
1 Cup Rye Flour 81.83 Cup 81.8
2 Cups Soy Flour 29.56 Cup 59.1
0.5 Cups bread flour 96.1 Cup 48.1
Per Serving 7.3
The first number is the amount in the recipe used. The second amount is the total grams of carbs per the second calculation. The third number is the total carbs per the amount in the recipe.
If you'd like me to email you my spreadsheet just let me know. Enjoy!!