ColdHeat

woodster_2010May 7, 2010

Has anyone tried to use that tool COLDHEAT for soldering of a television? If so does it really work? Thanks in advance to everyone who would post to this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

It works but because it passes a current through what you are soldering it is not recommended for printed circuit boards. My impression is it is more gimmick than useful tool.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 1:28PM
yosemitebill

As posted above, it heats the conductor you are soldering and not really the joint. With that in mind, it should never be used on any static sensitive electronic components (most all) and will most likely create a "cold solder joint" on anything you use it for.

Soldering is done with both sides of the joint getting to, on average, to 750 degrees, and allowing the solder to flow between the two of them to create the junction.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 11:11PM
llaatt22

Similar units were helpful soldering radio components etc back in the 1950s and early '60s when an ordinary resistor was about the size of a cigarette butt with two inch leads sticking out each end. Some types used the carbon rods out of old D and C batteries ground to shape for soldering tips, talk about early recycling! Anyway, as soon as solid state components like transistors and diodes showed up, the scrap dealers got most of them.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 4:54PM
creek_side

It's a cheesy form of resistance soldering. Resistance soldering works well in certain applications. It requires specialized equipment which costs a whole bunch more than the stuff sold as "cold heat."

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
modem switch, ethernets, and extension cables
Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction....
jally
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
previous post about 50ML8105D
My previous post about my Magnavox/Phillips 50"...
tribefan53
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
boothbay
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™