Mouse Traps...Above or Below Insulation??

tom_p_paJuly 27, 2008

Above my bed, I hear mice (I think). Luckily I have a walk up attic. Today, I took my circular saw and cut a plywood strip about 2 feet wide and about 8 feet long to expose the joist cavity. I did see rice sized dropping on top and below the insulation, so from internet research, it appears I have some mice. Question, do the mice traps go on top or below the insulation? Not knowing better, I pulled back some insulation and tucked it under the plywood exposing the top of the sheetrock ceiling and put the traps there. Is this OK? Should I lay the insulation back down? By the way, these snap traps are a royal PITA to set. Everytime I placed it on the ceiling, they would activate. I actually had to take a salad tong and use that to carefully place into the joist area. Did not tell my wife though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

I would just put them in the area where you see droppings - the areas you know they are already accessing. Have you considered that what you're seeing might be baby squirrel droppings or something else? Have you asked the local humane society if there are humane ways to get them out? Have you had a contractor tell you where and how to block any new access?

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 7:09PM
davidandkasie

go pick up a few boxes of mothballs. put them out all over the attic, i usually use a box every couple hundred sq ft or so. just dump them out eveyrwhere. the mice will leave. seal all holes big anough to get a pencil in. seriously, if they can the head thru, the body will follow.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 11:36PM
nycefarm_gw

I had an old shoe box that I put the trap in, nestled in the insulation. Works fine, haven't had a mouse up there in a couple years...

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Broken Mercury Thermometer
Last night my DD had a 100.2 temp so this am I went...
stir_fryi
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
Any young ladies feeling like you don't have a voice?
I moved in to my grandparents home. I am updating it....
avadoone
Bleach stains on bathtub
My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was...
wishnwell
Help my grout turned blue in spots from Comet
Hi Unfortunately I was trying to clean my new Bathroom...
laxrox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™