Do you plump up raisins before baking?

caflowerluverJanuary 19, 2009

I usually don't, but the other day I was flashing back to when I use to bake with my Mom. She always poured hot water over the raisins and let them sit for a few minutes. Then she would drain them, pat them dry and add them to whatever she was baking. I did that the other day when I made sweet potato muffins and it sure made a big difference. Even DH and DS commented on how great the raisins tasted in the muffins. So I will have to remember to do that from now on.

Clare

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diinohio

I always plump them too. Just like Mom used to do.
Di

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:20PM
wizardnm

I like to plump mine too...along with raisins, I do the same with dried cherries and dried blueberries. Sure makes a difference.

Nancy

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 9:08PM
annie1971

I always plump mine too. Steep in hot water and ring dry on terry towels. Mom taught me that!

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 9:28PM
Gina_W

Plumping/hydrating dried blueberries for muffins is my discovery lately - makes the best blueberry muffins. Hydrating or not makes a big difference in the end product.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 9:56PM
cooksnsews

For my Christmas baking, I like to plump my raisins in brandy.

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 12:12AM
ann_t

Well that is one technique I never have to worry about. LOL!

Ann

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 12:29AM
coconut_nj

Yup, sure do. I also love raisins in my oatmeal and always use the old fashioned kind. I like my oatmeal pretty 'rare', so I always cook/plump the raisins in the water for a few before I add the oatmeal. Ok.. now I want some. Been craving oatmeal for a few days and haven't made it yet. Silly.

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 2:11AM
canarybird01

When I baked buns and scones I also plumped mine in brandy or warm rum.

SharonCb

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 7:19AM
caflowerluver

Ann T - I have to ask - why is that a technique you don't have to worry about? Do you not like raisins?
Clare

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 3:38PM
ann_t

You guessed it Clare. I dislike raisins about as much as I dislike carrots.

Ann

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 5:32PM
sands99

Lol Ann you and my mom, she despises raisins. She'd sooner eat a chocolate covered cockroach! Even craisins make her nauseous.

I've never 'plumped' a raisin - sounds fairly lascivious ;-). Most recipes I've used them in call for them to accompany the dry ingrdients before adding liquids. The drys seem to collect in the wrinkles [they look like brain sulci to me] and maybe that dry attracts the fat liquids ala the roux process? because the raisins in my recipes are never tough. But heck I may have to try it out! Plump on!

BTW I like goldens over regular or reds personally.

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 10:41PM
publickman

I plump them in wine - generally a Burgundy for dark raisins, but brandy or rum might be good as well. I've never plumped them in water. I use white wine for light raisins - either Sauvignon Blanc or Chablis, but Chenin Blanc would work also.

Lars

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 10:46PM
OklaMoni

Even the golden (my personal favorite as well) are much better plump.

Moni

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 10:48PM
lakeguy35

I'm with Ann on this one unless I'm making cookies for the kids in my group....I'll take her carrots though..LOL! I don't plump them for cookies...just add them to the dough.

David

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 12:19AM
Rusty

Well, as opposed to David, I ALWAYS plump them for cookies! "Plumped" as in overnight soaking. Love the soft bit of moistness in a nice crisp cookie. And yes, the cookies do still get crisp, even though the raisins are soft. "Unplumped" (is that a word?) raisins always seemed like hard little knots when baked into a cookie. And they don't get that almost burned taste when they've been plumped, either.
Rusty

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 10:58AM
chinchette

Has anyone plumped them in granola? When I bake them in granola they turn into hard rocks.

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 7:17PM
ann_t

Chinchette, I make my husband granola, but the dried fruit is always added to the toasted granola. Not baked with it. I toss a combination of raisins, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, etc. to the granola after it comes out of the oven.

Ann

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Does this Nutella frosting on my cake need to be refrigerated?
I finally found a Nutella frosting recipe that I really...
sooz
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™