Do you plump up raisins before baking?

caflowerluverJanuary 19, 2009

I usually don't, but the other day I was flashing back to when I use to bake with my Mom. She always poured hot water over the raisins and let them sit for a few minutes. Then she would drain them, pat them dry and add them to whatever she was baking. I did that the other day when I made sweet potato muffins and it sure made a big difference. Even DH and DS commented on how great the raisins tasted in the muffins. So I will have to remember to do that from now on.

Clare

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diinohio

I always plump them too. Just like Mom used to do.
Di

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:20PM
wizardnm

I like to plump mine too...along with raisins, I do the same with dried cherries and dried blueberries. Sure makes a difference.

Nancy

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 9:08PM
annie1971

I always plump mine too. Steep in hot water and ring dry on terry towels. Mom taught me that!

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 9:28PM
Gina_W

Plumping/hydrating dried blueberries for muffins is my discovery lately - makes the best blueberry muffins. Hydrating or not makes a big difference in the end product.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 9:56PM
cooksnsews

For my Christmas baking, I like to plump my raisins in brandy.

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 12:12AM
ann_t

Well that is one technique I never have to worry about. LOL!

Ann

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 12:29AM
coconut_nj

Yup, sure do. I also love raisins in my oatmeal and always use the old fashioned kind. I like my oatmeal pretty 'rare', so I always cook/plump the raisins in the water for a few before I add the oatmeal. Ok.. now I want some. Been craving oatmeal for a few days and haven't made it yet. Silly.

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 2:11AM
canarybird01

When I baked buns and scones I also plumped mine in brandy or warm rum.

SharonCb

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 7:19AM
caflowerluver

Ann T - I have to ask - why is that a technique you don't have to worry about? Do you not like raisins?
Clare

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 3:38PM
ann_t

You guessed it Clare. I dislike raisins about as much as I dislike carrots.

Ann

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 5:32PM
sands99

Lol Ann you and my mom, she despises raisins. She'd sooner eat a chocolate covered cockroach! Even craisins make her nauseous.

I've never 'plumped' a raisin - sounds fairly lascivious ;-). Most recipes I've used them in call for them to accompany the dry ingrdients before adding liquids. The drys seem to collect in the wrinkles [they look like brain sulci to me] and maybe that dry attracts the fat liquids ala the roux process? because the raisins in my recipes are never tough. But heck I may have to try it out! Plump on!

BTW I like goldens over regular or reds personally.

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 10:41PM
publickman

I plump them in wine - generally a Burgundy for dark raisins, but brandy or rum might be good as well. I've never plumped them in water. I use white wine for light raisins - either Sauvignon Blanc or Chablis, but Chenin Blanc would work also.

Lars

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 10:46PM
OklaMoni

Even the golden (my personal favorite as well) are much better plump.

Moni

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 10:48PM
lakeguy35

I'm with Ann on this one unless I'm making cookies for the kids in my group....I'll take her carrots though..LOL! I don't plump them for cookies...just add them to the dough.

David

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 12:19AM
Rusty

Well, as opposed to David, I ALWAYS plump them for cookies! "Plumped" as in overnight soaking. Love the soft bit of moistness in a nice crisp cookie. And yes, the cookies do still get crisp, even though the raisins are soft. "Unplumped" (is that a word?) raisins always seemed like hard little knots when baked into a cookie. And they don't get that almost burned taste when they've been plumped, either.
Rusty

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 10:58AM
chinchette

Has anyone plumped them in granola? When I bake them in granola they turn into hard rocks.

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 7:17PM
ann_t

Chinchette, I make my husband granola, but the dried fruit is always added to the toasted granola. Not baked with it. I toss a combination of raisins, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, etc. to the granola after it comes out of the oven.

Ann

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Biscuit Experts
Can I substitute greek yogurt for buttermilk in a biscuit...
cactuscatie1
Help with baked eggs and a new oven
Hi - we recently got a new oven (Thermador) and my...
peggysugar
Silicone VS Metal
Good afternoon...I have been asked to make the cake...
jsvrn
Food for sore mouths..
I just had a tooth extracted - and I have a very sore...
agmss15
What can I make to go with..
Dh has a potluck on Friday. I am making red lentil...
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™